Hole in the piston

henery97

Apr 4, 2011
Nebraska
Anybody ever seen just a hole through the piston? Not cracked, just a hole right through it. Happened to a buddy of mine coming home New Year's Eve, passed a car in the highway and it started missing. Just got the head pulled off the other day and I was surprised to see it like this, I figured it would be cracked. Any thoughts on this?

Truck is a stock turbo, stock fuel, built trans LMM with about 190k.

Last edited:

kheims

Oct 7, 2012
What kind of issues were u guys having that led u to take the head off and see the hole in the piston. Also what kind of price range are u looking at when rebuilding the engine nothing crazy hold like 700hp. I'm gonna do a health check on mine this summer and hoping for the best I just have a lot of blue smoke and small lope on very cold starts and I'm hoping it's not something serious.

D1rty-max

Spare some change?
Jul 16, 2015
Longview, TX
Well my symptoms were a truck that was shaking and missing like crazy with major blowby lol when you get a hole in a piston you are going to know about it

cardiac

Jul 19, 2014
Jeff City, MO.
My 06 LBZ looks just like that. I drove it in 3rd gear above 2000 rpm for 60 miles back home and thought that was what caused the metal and rings above the wrist pin to glue itself to the block, but yours looks like mine. I have the block at the machine shop getting .020 overbore now. Didn't know you could spend this much money on a rebuild. lol

Blackmax123

Aug 2, 2014
central Pennsylvania
When mine blew up I was forced to drive it 136 miles home. It used 2 1/2 gallons of oil and around 24 gallons of fuel. Smoked like a house on fire. But had no problems maintaining highway speeds.

#8 injector balance rate was stuck on 15. Ended up needing bored. But I think the damage to the cylinder wall was done when it happened.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
What kind of issues were u guys having that led u to take the head off and see the hole in the piston. Also what kind of price range are u looking at when rebuilding the engine nothing crazy hold like 700hp. I'm gonna do a health check on mine this summer and hoping for the best I just have a lot of blue smoke and small lope on very cold starts and I'm hoping it's not something serious.

Look at your balance rates, sounds like short rod syndrome...

kheims

Oct 7, 2012
My balance rates all look good. The worst one is number 7 and it's at 1.5 some days other days it runs the same as the others nothing usually higher then 1 + or -. I always look at them warm of course.