High Idle Turn Off

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut

Looks like he has a LBZ I'm sure thats what you meant.

If you read all those instructions looks like it temporarily disables the high idle. Looks like it will just eventually raise the idle but slower?

Makes me wonder if you just start the truck with your foot on the brake peddle or just start it in neutral you'd get the same results or just plug it in.

If it's that cold and you don't like the high idle because of the clattering noise why not just plug it in? You'd be doing your engine a big favor. I always plug mine in on a timer when the occasional time I have it out in cold weather. Little more difficult when your away from home and don't have access to a plug although.

I wonder with EFI if you can disable it altogether. I have it in my 01 and never use it. But it is a manual high idle not automatic like what the LLY's have and newer.

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
i got it off on mine. turned it off 1st winter and never had it back on. trying to find the wirte up. found the how to program door locks but no hi idle yet

03 D-max

Honorary "Tosser"
Apr 29, 2008
Lowville NY
you can just turn it off with your drivers display menu, same way you change the auto locks and headlight timer.

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
yup, no steering wheel buttons. I cant find it. Either it was on DP or a dealer printed it out for me. Brake pedal/gas pedal/multi function lever/all while you hum hookey pookey song. not necessarly in that order

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
its hard to do with an aftermarket stereo and you cant hear the door bell thingy. or maybe that was the lock reprogram.

yea, that was it.

the right combo of pedal pushes and I think the dash tells you its off

the door lock reprogram dings a nonexistant bell at you to tell you what setting it is

marcusrushing90

Mike L wants my body
Nov 26, 2010
With Mike L and his wife
I have the tendecy to forget to plug my truck in. And get's really cold in my area. When i start it in the morning it will start the high idle rpm raise. And the truck will start to clatter...and i hate it. Idk if its bad or not but i just want to turn it off. I dont have steering wheel controls. I have done it before, its something with the brake and gas pedal pressing. I just dont know what pedals to press and for how long.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
I believ you hold the gas pedal to the floor with the engine on run and then stab the brakes 3 time

High idle is good for the engine in my opinion, as it helps it warm up quicker and mine runs much smoother in the cold with the high idle then it does idleing low, I clatter like a 12 valve when it is really cold out and the idle is down as soon as it idles up it seems to calm down a bit.

marcusrushing90

Mike L wants my body
Nov 26, 2010
With Mike L and his wife
I believ you hold the gas pedal to the floor with the engine on run and then stab the brakes 3 times

It worked!

High idle is good for the engine in my opinion, as it helps it warm up quicker and mine runs much smoother in the cold with the high idle then it does idleing low, I clatter like a 12 valve when it is really cold out and the idle is down as soon as it idles up it seems to calm down a bit.

My truck knocks a little whenever i first start it after a real cold night. I guess its normal. But for some reason i think my truck has a ticking time bomb somewhere.

snowman

Evil Diesel Performance
Aug 30, 2010
Manitoba Canada
It's actually "better" for your engine to warm up using high idle.

i completely agree!! If you let a diesel idle for to long at to low rpm, it will wash the cylinders down over time, and that would suck! seen it happen to a guy with a dodge. it was a 12 valve with only 143, 500kms on it!!

snowman

Evil Diesel Performance
Aug 30, 2010
Manitoba Canada
Mine clatters like a 12 valve when its cold out, shoud have heard it this morning when it was -38 celcius!!!! i plug it in every night, start it in the morning, and it high idles for about 10 minutes. When it high idles that long my tranny gauge goes up to.