High Idle Kit

millerman04

< The Man Cave
Jul 14, 2010
Clearville, Pa
I'm wanting to install a high idle kit. But before i buy one, I was wondering if there was a DIY thread on how to do it and save money. Thanks!!

calabria69

Beerstud1
Oct 8, 2008
Santaquin, Utah
I just did mine, get a pin from the dealer, about 6 ft of wire, crimp wire to pin, pull ECM, it's the left connector looking in frOm the front, Pull the plastic cover off the connector, 7mm socket to get the connector off the ecm...pin #71 (make sure pin is all the way in)...run wire thru cab and wire down at the brake pedal, green/white wire....done!! Took me 20 min...

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
The high idle on an LB7 is actually the speed control for the PTO. You jump two pins on the TCM and then use the cruise control switch to change the engine speed, I think stock it is like 1200 rpm. If you leave the high idle switch on and then drive the truck, it is like an rpm governor at around 2200 rpm...if feels like the truck falls on it's nose.

The controller that duratothemax makes is much smarter, and you can have the high idle work automatically if you have an autostart on the truck (the truck goes to high idle immediately when the engine starts).

FWIW, I have the PPE kit and it works flawlessly as a high idle, but I am lazy and want the truck to go to high idle when I use my autostart.

It all depends on what you are using the high idle for, and how you want to use it....

DieselDummy

Dirt Dummy
Oct 13, 2011
NY
i got the ppe on mine and it works great and cheap, and easy to do, i didnt use the panel or switch, but put in a toggle hidden in lower pocket below heater control next to dsp2

Millerman, if you get a pin for ecm, put it in #71 and run it to one side of toggle, and power to the other side, and thats i., then use toggle to turn on and off, cruise buttons control either 1200 rpm or 1800rpm

Alliance1289

Apr 26, 2011
http://www.kennedydiesel.com/docs/HIGH%20IDLE%20INSTALL%20FINAL.htm

Thats the write up I used. I went to the dealership and got some pins, Napa for a fuse tap and a toggle switch. Took me about 3 hours to do mine because I am SUPER picky about how my wiring looks. I ran my wire from the ECM harness through the factory wire loom and then up into the fuse box located on the drivers side wheel well. Took that apart and snuck the wire underneath the fuse panel and then out the other side through a short piece of wire loom and passed through the firewall. I also found it was a lot easier (for me anyways) to take the drivers side front wheel/tire off as well as pull the inner fender. It allows easy access to the back of the ECM and you can work on things in a civilized fashion. I have since done this to about 4-5 other trucks the same way and all work flawlessly. I think its a must have for us Wyoming folk as our winters are rather unforgiving. Hope this helps!

Edit: I spent a grand total of around $23 on pieces parts to do this. I already had some 20ga. wire sitting in my toolbox at my shop. Just take your time and fallow whichever instructions you choose carefully. Its a pretty simple mod and if you have any questions hit me up!

Last edited: