hidden amp?

magnethead494

go fast crew chief
Dec 29, 2013
Fort Worth, Republic of Texas
Whilst hunting down the trailer brake interface, i noticed 2 speaker's worth of speaker wires running down from the head unit area, to the center console, past the cup holders, to where I can't see. I also found a small blue wire running down the firewall to behind the driver side kick panel.

I've done several audio installs, I know that blue is remote turn on and I know what the speaker wire looks like (only reason it caught my eye is because i have the exact stuff in my closet). I didn't see any 8 or 4 gauge supply wires, though, nor did I feel any running under the carpet (where I run mine on the hidden installs). I don't want to go tearing things apart, but I'm damn near positive that is/was an amp in the truck at some point.

Did 01's have factory amps? I ran the RPO's on our truck and one was premium audio, so i'm guessing yes. Where at? Might have been replaced with aftermarket? It has the factory radio.

magnethead494

go fast crew chief
Dec 29, 2013
Fort Worth, Republic of Texas
Our truck is a 2001 with UQ3 option, enhanced audio (not bose). So just tweeters, no amp.

I'm thinking the blue remote turn-on comes from an ignition switched source, and the speaker wires come off either the front or back channels, to drive an amp. I'm guessing the system has been removed, but the wiring may still be there.

0996b43f802412b1.gif

0996b43f802412b0.gif