HID issues

lucas6.6

Aug 20, 2014
Wisconsin Rapids, WI
The previous owner installed what I believe are hids (bright white/blue light) for the high beams in my truck, and there are two things I'm curious about.
1. They take about 5 seconds to get to full brightness, they start out dim and get brighter, is this normal?
2. They distort the radio when I turn them on, if I'm listening to a CD or my phone it's fine, but they add a lot of static to the radio. I'm assuming this isn't normal, and I'm wondering how to fix it.

Thanks!

howard8448

L33T
Mar 21, 2015
Oceanside, CA
1. That is normal. That's why I don't run them as high beams.

2. I'm not sure, my only guess is that the ballast is near your antenna. I had a similar issue with my CB and windshield wipers. Every time I used my wipers I would hear the motor through my CB speaker. If that's the case try moving the ballast.

bml2200

Oct 16, 2008
IL
1. Yes
2. Sometimes they will interfere with the radio, can be caused by how/where the ballasts are mounted or power supply related (which you can install a filter). Google is your friend, type in your problems and you'll find a whole list of things to check.

Easy to tell if you have HID's, pop your hood and look by the headlights and the plastic air dam/core supports, you'll see a box mounted somewhere around there for each HID bulb.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
The warm up time is normal, mine take more like 45sec...

The interference is not normal, some HID kits come with/require a ground and relay to be set up to run the ballasts. Id check to see if the kit on your truck has a relay/ground harness, and if so, Id see where the ground is attached to and possibly/probably move it

indiana_jones

LargeFarva
Dec 3, 2013
Ft Collins Colorado
I had a similar problem. A previous owner of my truck decided to just stick some AWFUL cheap blue HID bulbs in stock wiring. Are you sure yo have a kit and not just some ricer job like mine did? Proudly rocking factory lights now thanks to chevyburnout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brassfield

Jan 14, 2014
West Plains, MO
Fleece make a nice little board to stick in your relays and will help that issue, also known as the high/low mod. You want be in the darkness anymore with it when changing from low beam to high

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
All on mod... My truck has all HID's been that way for 4+ years. In the winter it's dark 18 hours a day, not having headlights isn't an option... Somewhere around here there are destructions.
http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showpost.php?p=648825&postcount=1

As far as the static, it could be the routing of the wires or the location of the ballast... Try unhooking one at a time and see if maybe one ballast is the culprit.