LB7: HG brands?

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
Alright guys, I have been doing so much reading that my eyes hurt and I still havent found the answers I'm looking for.

I'm going to be doing my head gaskets soon, and I wondering if there is anything available other than factory gaskets. I mean something comercially mass produced...not some place that can custom make copper ones for 52 thousand dollars each.

I have not heard good things about the Cometic MLS gaskets for the duramax...evidently they leak water? Where and could it be remedied simply?

I also read that there is another company making gaskets but I don't recall the name, and that is all that was given...no other info just a name.

I run an S480 single, and have yet to run it to is full boost potential. I'm guessing that it will run in th 55 PSIG range, so something that is quality is in order.

Thanks for your help guys.

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
True story, but if I can find someone that makes a simmiler quality gasket without the price tag I'll go that route. Odds are I will end up going with GM "C" gaskets and some ARP studs, but just figured it couldn't hurt to ask right? :thumb:

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
My S475 as a single was pushing 62 PSI on the stock intercooler, now with the BD it is around 57-58. And that's with every other air upgrade you can do to the motor - headers, up-pipes, stage 2 heads, smoothed LBZ runners, 3" into the Y-bridge, and 3" tubes - measured at the Y-bridge. What size turbine are you running on that S480? I hope the 87mm.

If you really want to hold some heads down look into SoCal's ARP 14mm head studs.

Last edited:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Id rather spend $$$ on the GM gaskets (that are proven in every application, and proven at huge power levels when combined with studs) than try something new thats cheaper, but "might" or "might not work". Doing head gaskets on these things with the motor in the truck is a PITA.

ben

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
My S475 as a single was pushing 62 PSI on the stock intercooler, now with the BD it is around 57-58. And that's with every other air upgrade you can do to the motor - headers, up-pipes, stage 2 heads, smoothed LBZ runners, 3" into the Y-bridge, and 3" tubes - measured at the Y-bridge. What size turbine are you running on that S480? I hope the 87mm.

If you really want to hold some heads down look into SoCal's ARP 14mm head studs.

WOW! That new IC is really killing some heat isn't it? Looks like once I have the $$$ I will be getting one of those.

If I remember right, it is the 87mm turbine with a 1.01 AR housing. Its a turd off the line but once it decides its time to go hold on to your ass. :D

I'll look into those studs.

Id rather spend $$$ on the GM gaskets (that are proven in every application, and proven at huge power levels when combined with studs) than try something new thats cheaper, but "might" or "might not work". Doing head gaskets on these things with the motor in the truck is a PITA.

ben

You have a good point Ben, I definately agree with you there 100%. The engine is coming out completely this winter for a full build-up, so hopefully I won't be pulling my hair out.

There's GM, and then theres everyone else. Stay OEM on this one, Mike.

Looks like my initial plan was the correct one, thanks guys!

Just one more question...If when I get into the engine it has grade B on one side and grade C on the other...and I go ahead and run C's on both sides in your opinions do you think this will unballance compression from side to side enough to cause issues?

Thanks again!

KEVINL

Jul 4, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Just one more question...If when I get into the engine it has grade B on one side and grade C on the other...and I go ahead and run C's on both sides in your opinions do you think this will unballance compression from side to side enough to cause issues?

Thanks again!

You will be fine

Many including me have went to C's without any issue

I think mine had A&C's

Last edited:

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
If your worried over the cost of the factory c head gaskets you better just hang up the towel.

LOL! you got a point there. Not so much worried about that, just figured I'd see if anyone had found an alternative. No sonse in dropping the extra money if someone found something that words just as good for less. But factory crade C it is! Thanks guys.

05_LLY

Out-A-Time
Aug 7, 2006
Norvelt, PA
Ive installed commetics in mine and some other trucks, with no issues, I know they have been known to leak but i think that was a problem of the past, they are no cheaper than GM gaskets though anyway! Ive been using them becasue at one time, they were easier to get the GM C gaskets! Im not saying one is better then the other, just stating my experiences!

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
LOL! you got a point there. Not so much worried about that, just figured I'd see if anyone had found an alternative. No sonse in dropping the extra money if someone found something that words just as good for less. But factory crade C it is! Thanks guys.

They don't cost that much

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
why the C's,

I dont have the info, but i heard theer are three thicknesses?

On topic, will the c's compensate for a milled head?

Depending on what protrusion is and how much was milled off the head , there are 2 grades thicker than the C , just for heads that have been milled .