LB7: help with possible fuel knock?

dirty_max

Jan 27, 2013
eureka il
i just did the head gaskets on my lb7 and noticed last night coming home from work that it had a ticking noise going on. I played with it a bit and it seems like its worse at part throttle between 1500 and 2000 rpm. also seems worse with engine load and its not really there when I just rev it up in neutral. I didn't really notice the noise before I did the hgs but I never really paid attention. I was playing with the v2 on it today a little bit and the ticking noise sounds similar to when you command rail pressure all the way up at idle. I was going to try and cut cylinders out to try and figure out if it was a certain hole that was doing it but I couldn't seem to tell a difference on any hole when I tried shutting them off so im not even sure if its working. balance rates were all good +or- 1.7 was the worst one, truck starts fine after sitting for a few days and it runs good, actual rail pressure follows desired pretty well. the only thing that's different from before is that I tore all that shitty insulation off the firewall because it was falling off anyways, and I put a downpipe on it. I also cannot see any exhaust leaks anywhere. i did notice that calculated engine load was around 50% in park, is this normal? can somebody please help steer me in the right direction with this? what else should I check? or am I just being paranoid? thanks

dirty_max

Jan 27, 2013
eureka il
yessir I did. at first I thought I had a valve out of adjustment but it sounds a little more harsh than a valve adjustment issue, but it doesn't seem to be directly related to engine speed, it seems like its worse with load. you cant really hear it by just reving it up, but driving down the road its pretty noticeable. I suspect the fpr could be on its way out, it does have a slight lope occasionaly but I wasn't sure if a bad fpr would cause a fuel knock. what should calculated engine load be just sitting at idle?

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
What kind of pressure are you seeing at idle?

Don't remember engine load but I believe it was in the neighborhood of 10%

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk