Help please!! Cp4 issues

coker6365

Coker6303's ***** Daddy
Dec 4, 2011
Definitely different supply chain. Price came way down on that kit over the years. Used to be 8-10k for just parts when we first started seeing problems
When I first started buying them they were dirt cheap. Now they are about $2k-up on the GM websites.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
When I first started buying them they were dirt cheap. Now they are about $2k-up on the GM websites.

At those prices it might not be such a bad idea to buy an LML that gets traded in cause owner doesn’t want to deal with it

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
In my experience, GM will raise prices on engine related parts over time as that particular model gets old enough to be out of any possible warranty

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

dylon333

Dec 24, 2017
Crazy rail pressure

The rail pressure is all over the place at idle and under load. Any where from 2k to 10k psi just sitting there. Truck “lopes” if you will. This was the original problem before cp4 decided to die. Got brand new gm pump on it and still has same issue. Thinking it’s almost got to be a rail pressure sensor. No fuel coming from regulator on the rail when truck is acting like this. Unplugging rail sensor it seems to run smoother.

Last edited by a moderator:

dylon333

Dec 24, 2017
Thanks cocker got the pump and got it put on this weekend! Got the truck back up and running. Still having rough idle but started a new thread for that. Really appreciate you getting it shipped out so fast for me! Dissembled old pump and couldn’t Find any obvious failure.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Ive combined your threads. keep it together here since this is all running together under basically the same issue. keeps guys from asking the same questions in the other thread that were already answered here.

dylon333

Dec 24, 2017
So I went ahead and put a rail pressure sensor in it on a guess because it was cheap. No go. I unplugged the number 2 regulator. The one on the drivers rail, truck died, restarted the truck, truck was in limp mode, but rail pressure was stable and truck ran smooth. I’m starting too think the 2 regulator is the issue, mainly because it’s the last piece of the system that hasn’t been replaced yet. Any other input?

coker6365

Coker6303's ***** Daddy
Dec 4, 2011
So I went ahead and put a rail pressure sensor in it on a guess because it was cheap. No go. I unplugged the number 2 regulator. The one on the drivers rail, truck died, restarted the truck, truck was in limp mode, but rail pressure was stable and truck ran smooth. I’m starting too think the 2 regulator is the issue, mainly because it’s the last piece of the system that hasn’t been replaced yet. Any other input?
What are you referring to as the #2 regulator? The return side?

coker6365

Coker6303's ***** Daddy
Dec 4, 2011
You should have a RIP pressure sensor, relief valve, and then the injector return line regulator. Is the relief valve voltage bouncing when rail is bouncing? What is commanded rail?

dylon333

Dec 24, 2017
Commanded is staying solid, i can’t remember the number now, I haven’t checked voltage as I wasn’t really sure where to even start. I haven’t worked on hardly any duramax let alone the lml. So I’m learning as we go here ha

dylon333

Dec 24, 2017
Fuel pressure regulator #2 was the culprit. (The one on the front of the drivers side rail).
So long story short when I pulled the number 1 regulator from the pump there must have been a piece of dirt drop into the pump and cause the pumps failure. But my original issue of the fluctuating rail pressure was caused by the #2 regulator. But now we have a brand new cp4, rail pressure sensor, and a new #2 regulator. All for less then 500 bucks.