Help! Pitman Arm Removal

LB7Diesel

Oh Boy!
Sep 3, 2006
Melbourne, F.L.
You will def need something big. You'll probably have to remove the bolts in the steering box to get the puller on the arm good. It also helps to take the 2 supports off of the sway-bar and move it downwards out of the way.

Blackbird1877

Feb 16, 2007
You will def need something big. You'll probably have to remove the bolts in the steering box to get the puller on the arm good. It also helps to take the 2 supports off of the sway-bar and move it downwards out of the way.

That is what I was afraid of.

Blackbird1877

Feb 16, 2007
I know I just do not want to take any more stuff off of my front end I already have both tie rods the center link and the idler arm removed. I was kind of hoping I could do it without unbolting anything else. Ill get a fresh start on it in the morning.

dmaxalliTech

Shop Rat
Aug 28, 2006
First, you must unbolt the gear box. 3 21mm bolts, very easy.

Second, unhook the center link and get it out of the way.

Third, PUSH the box back towards the firewall, yes, it will go enough.

Install the puller, tighten and remove

If you pull the box FORWARD, you risk causing a leak at the input shaft to the gear box unless you unhook the steering shaft. You can do that, but you can save that step by pushing the box towards the firewall.

JMO.

Blackbird1877

Feb 16, 2007
First, you must unbolt the gear box. 3 21mm bolts, very easy.

Second, unhook the center link and get it out of the way.

Third, PUSH the box back towards the firewall, yes, it will go enough.

Install the puller, tighten and remove

If you pull the box FORWARD, you risk causing a leak at the input shaft to the gear box unless you unhook the steering shaft. You can do that, but you can save that step by pushing the box towards the firewall.

JMO.

Truck stays on the lift tonight first thing in the morning Ill do this. It seems easy enough. Just not after a long day of excavating and driving pilings.:baby: I am ready for some beer and quality time surfing the web.

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
Disconnect the pitman arm from centerlink. Pull the bottom 2 bolts that bolt the steering box to frame & just loosen the top one. Pivot the box back & use pitman arm puller. Do the same thing to install new pitman arm, but don't torque it until all 3 frame to steering box bolts are tight. 184lbs or something close IIRC

Last edited:

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
Listen to DmaxAllitech he know whats up. I just changed mine a couple weeks ago and had to remove the steering box from the rail and push towards the firewall. It came off with a little help from a hammer, balljoint puller and a 1/2 impact. I also had to remove the idler arm pivot assembly to get my idler arm off.
My truck only had 61,000 miles on it.

Blackbird1877

Feb 16, 2007
That worked, I had to go buy a new puller then it was off like a prom dress. So now at 52,000 miles I have a new pitman, Ideler, Cognito braces, and Cognito heavy duty tie rods. After an alignment tomorrow it should drive like a dream again!!!

Blackbird1877

Feb 16, 2007
Shouldn't have to pull all 3 bolts from the box

You should have done the idler pivot while you were in there.

I did the pivot also. I bought it from GM and it came as one unit so I forgot to mention it.

Note: If you buy the parts from GM you have to replace it all at one time. Apparently GM changed the design a little so they make you buy Pitman, Ideler,
and Pivot. These three parts cost me $210 From the dealer.

Bentley

Doesn't know $hit...
Mar 7, 2008
Under a big a$$ rock...
I have a few forks for my air hammer and none of them would get my pitman arm off. Went down to one of those parts store thingys and bought a big one you hit with a hammer, one hit and it dropped right off...

Darius6t9

I'm the Floater. Lurking.
Aug 23, 2008
Rusk, Tx. Again
Disconnect the pitman arm from centerlink. Pull the bottom 2 bolts that bolt the steering box to frame & just loosen the top one. Pivot the box back & use pitman arm puller. Do the same thing to install new pitman arm, but don't torque it until all 3 frame to steering box bolts are tight. 184lbs or something close IIRC

This is how I did mine yesterday. And I ended up with a bad leak from the steering input shaft. Yes. I rotated it clockwise looking at it from the pass. side. I ended up messing up the first thread and in turn screwed up the nut. And no one around here has a replacement nut. So you can use a pickle fork to get these off? I thought that would mess up the box somehow. The puller I used from work didn't work. It slid out of the dimple and messed up the thread, then bottomed out. If I can use a pickle fork great. I have those. But I'm looking at getting a new steering box because the thread on the shaft is messed up.