Help on 2nd Set of Injectors

AZDZLpower

Jul 30, 2012
My 02 CC's injectors just s**t the bed again (first time at 3000 miles). Crankcase filled up with fuel, injectors are leaking.

Its 8 months outside of its warranty (they gave me a 10 year 200,000 mile warranty to make me feel better about the injector infant mortality I experienced) but at only 130k miles, I thought they should do the right thing (haha).

They told me they wouldn't cover the repair because I had modified the truck (pyro gauge and larger exhaust). I asked them how that would contribute to a fuel system failure, they told me it just would.

After wiping the stupid they had just puked on my face, I am facing injector replacements but would love to work on making this be the last time...hopefully.

I have seen two major causes of injector failure, one being poor filtration (lots of solutions out there) and then the other being unstable power from the FICM of that period. I understand the FICM issues were fixed in later designs.

Does anyone know what FICM I could acquire and what's involved with replacing the LB7 one with the later model FICM? Any FICM change will require some programming from what I understand. Are connectors any different? Is there a supplier with an aftermarket kit to do this?

Also, when buying a rebuilt injector, has anyone had any issues with them that I should look out for?

Thanks!

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
You could do an LLY conversion. A quick search will lead you to a couple good threads. I think a big contributer to lb7 injector failures are heat because of the design of the heads and the way the injectors are under the valve covers. This may be total BS but another problem may be the voltage that the lb7 injectors run on.

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
Who gave you 10 years? Lots of things were changed with the later years. Some people think it had to do with the voltage, some think it was heat, some the ball and seat but if someone knows the answer they are not talking. Doing a LLY head swap is not easy but has been done