Help me pick a turbo

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
I've never had a single issue with my truck. I throw parts on it, drive it like a stock truck, throw more parts on it, drive it to the track, run 12.0's and drive it home. Cruise around on a daily basis beating the snot out of it with zero issues. Maybe I just am lucky.

But you live in SLC. I spend most of my miles on washboard dirt desert roads, which is a big reason I didn't like the twin truck that A.stocklbz bought from me. It was just not practical for my application. If I lived in town, and it was a pavement queen then I maybe would have thought harder about keeping it. Little things add up over time, and eventually I just throw my hands in the air and say the hell with it. It's damn expensive owning trucks that have more than an intake, tune, and exhaust. I've heard a lot of the big names in the duramax world (and on this site) say they wished they would have kept their trucks closer to stock just because of the cost, headaches, and addiction that comes with these trucks. I'm beginning to understand where they were coming from.

Utahski

Oct 20, 2008
Northern Utah
But you live in SLC. I spend most of my miles on washboard dirt desert roads, which is a big reason I didn't like the twin truck that A.stocklbz bought from me. It was just not practical for my application. If I lived in town, and it was a pavement queen then I maybe would have thought harder about keeping it. Little things add up over time, and eventually I just throw my hands in the air and say the hell with it. It's damn expensive owning trucks that have more than an intake, tune, and exhaust. I've heard a lot of the big names in the duramax world (and on this site) say they wished they would have kept their trucks closer to stock just because of the cost, headaches, and addiction that comes with these trucks. I'm beginning to understand where they were coming from.

You think the Salt Lake area is just paved streets? You think people in the Salt Lake area don't ever drive on dirt or desert roads? Go in any direction from Salt Lake and what do think is there?.........desert and dirt roads. You think SLC people never go north and that Idaho is just paved roads?

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
You think the Salt Lake area is just paved streets? You think people in the Salt Lake area don't ever drive on dirt or desert roads? Go in any direction from Salt Lake and what do think is there?.........desert and dirt roads. You think SLC people never go north and that Idaho is just paved roads?

That was exactly what I was saying. Dirt roads don't exist outside of Idaho.

562ce7d97e82bfaa2e629c36e893881bc9690b1d3ea9f9cf0911c078700fd78a.jpg

I bet that mike probably doesn't drive on 70 miles of dirt roads a day though.

Robby Avery

GM TECH @ FENDER GMC
Jul 31, 2008
Norman Park, Georgia

X2 on your statement in the second half of your post I work on chevy cars,SUVs, crossovers, and trucks alike day in and out at the chevy dealership I work for and the closer you keep it to stock the easier it is to work on and maintain my mods are made very carefully and the reality of it is a good clean smooth running 500+hp 1000+ ft lbs of torque truck is really all any one needs it's neat to be able to say "yeah its only got 46,xxx miles LBZ and the lb7 has 27x,xxx and still going strong lb7 has had 500+hp since 191,xxx miles when I bought it and still going strong ive got more than my money's worth out of both trucks be it my wife, our memories, trips, smiles, fun, competiton pulls, and still able to drive it home and to work day in and out yeah I might not come in first at any events i participated in but it still makes me feel good knowing it's still just as reliable as the day I bought it due the the fact I did my homework and made changes in the right areas to not only increase reliability but enjoy the trucks without worrying every time I turn the key what's gonna break next jmho

SickLL7Crenshaw

Billy The Kid
Mar 10, 2013
Mexico
Try living 30 miles from the nearest town on a ranch in the middle of no where lol should see how pitted my windshield is from the dust stroms. I'm running a twin kit and have no issues with it running down 23 mile dirt roads. :hug:

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
An S400 is going to be doggy at certain rpm no matter the A/R. With fuel, tuning, and a tighter A/R it can be much better.

My S366 was a billet 66/74 T3 gated turbo and it was a complete dog if under 2000-2200 rpm's. I pulled 26.5k and it did ok but I had to watch EGT's very closely. If it was a 66/70 it would have been a lot better I'm sure.

Yellowchevy

I think it's the t3 that killed it I had a bd 64/70 t3 wastegated and it was a laggy bitch compared to my billet 66/73 t4 I mean it was way different driving.

I think the wheel design a big key to maybe it was the billet wheel but I could tow 10k behind me and not worry. At 26.5k any setup would need egts watched stock to compounds imo

Utahski

Oct 20, 2008
Northern Utah
That was exactly what I was saying. Dirt roads don't exist outside of Idaho.

562ce7d97e82bfaa2e629c36e893881bc9690b1d3ea9f9cf0911c078700fd78a.jpg

I bet that mike probably doesn't drive on 70 miles of dirt roads a day though.

Go west of SLC and hunt coyotes, what's there....desert and dirt roads. Maybe Wyoming or eastern Utah for prairie dogs and bounce around in the sage. Or just about anyplace in the middle of nowhere for chucks. The triples aren't a problem. One guy here runs triples, over 950hp, goes mid 10's......in his farm truck. There's often hay in the bed.

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
Go west of SLC and hunt coyotes, what's there....desert and dirt roads. Maybe Wyoming or eastern Utah for prairie dogs and bounce around in the sage. Or just about anyplace in the middle of nowhere for chucks. The triples aren't a problem. One guy here runs triples, over 950hp, goes mid 10's......in his farm truck. There's often hay in the bed.

Yeah but he sounds rich. I'm not rich.

tumblr_m3tvhbGfHW1qmaa05o1_500.jpg

I'm just sharing my own experience and issues that I've had. Everybody's situation is different.

Last edited:

Chanzilla

Feb 15, 2013
San Antonio
I have a question... I seem to find vvt turbos online at most vendor websites ... But can't seem to find fixed vane turbos. And if I do, where or how would you specify what exducer/inducer/housing/etc.. Do you just call the vendor to order it and talk about the specs?

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I have a question... I seem to find vvt turbos online at most vendor websites ... But can't seem to find fixed vane turbos. And if I do, where or how would you specify what exducer/inducer/housing/etc.. Do you just call the vendor to order it and talk about the specs?

Check out PPE's website, they have fixed vane turbo kits available, come to think of it, so does HSP, SDP and Danville performance, but I think Danville and SDP just use a PPE kit...

Costs a whole lot more to switch to fixed than it does to just do a drop in performance VGT tho

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Costs a whole lot more to switch to fixed than it does to just do a drop in performance VGT tho

Not neccesarily, I picked up my WCfab s400 kit including my old s472 turbo for $2500 shipped. That is a hell of a nice kit.

Cheaper than what a new danville 72 costs.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Not neccesarily, I picked up my WCfab s400 kit including my old s472 turbo for $2500 shipped. That is a hell of a nice kit.

Cheaper than what a new danville 72 costs.

Tru, tru

I guess I shouldve said
It costs a whole lot more to buy a fixed vane kit from PPE than it does to buy a performance VGT

Isn't PPE's Kit somethin like $3400 PLUS the turbo!!???!!
And the DP stg2 3794va is $1850+ a core and the ride

Last edited: