LMM: HELP!! - LMM won't crank, truck is stuck at work

DirtyLMM08

Jun 19, 2013
I've searched high and low for this, found a few similar scenarios but couldn't find the fix. I have a 2008 lmm. It has been driving fine. Yesterday drove to work. later on drove to lunch. Then when I went to go leave work, it tried to turnover and didnt. From then on out, all I get is one click when I turn the key. Everything works as normal, dash lights, radio, headlights, etc. I tried jumping the starter, it sparked and made a clicking sound but wouldnt budge on cranking. I briefly checked the connections at work, and even had someone try and jump me off and no luck. Battery gauge on dash and my cts insight are good. My cts read 12.4 to be exact. I read that maybe it needs the ECM reflashed and it was a common problem? I havent checked with the dealer yet to see if the previous owner has had this done or not. The people that needed this done said they didnt get a click or nothing though. So I'm lost? I had to drive my girlfreinds car to work today, so my truck is still sitting in the parking lot. I'm hoping it is something simple, I don't really have the time or money to have it towed and everything else. I will say occasionally over the past month it would start a little slower than normal but wouldnt do it everytime. Could it be the batteries? Any help would be much appreciated!

tirwin

Dec 30, 2014
Houston, Tx
Try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes, then reconnect. if it is something simple with the ECM, it might clear the problem up. Keep us updated!

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Could be the batteries or the starter. Like it has been said jumping the posts on the starter should have gave you something most times it will. Hate to have you throw parts at it although. I'd give it a good jump or charge the batteries then try and bump the starter again.

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
It's the starter. I went through all of this on my 60k LML, same symptoms, same troubleshooting steps, load tested batteries, etc. There's no reason for the starter to not do something when it's jumped. Pull the starter and have it tested at your local parts store, most will do it for free.

DirtyLMM08

Jun 19, 2013
Well, I just disconnected both batteries for about 15 min and still nothing. Looks like next step is the starter I guess! I heard it is a pain in the ass to pull out so that should be fun. It's more of a headache because its stuck in my work parking lot. I live 30 min away and would be nice to do in my driveway. I'm going to try and tackle it right after work I guess. Thanks for all of the input, it is greatly appreciated! Any tips on pulling the starter? What tools will I need? I'm going to get my buddy to drive up and help but his tools are limited.

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
When I did my LML I had to disconnect the downpipe from the exhaust, unbolt the motor mount from the pad and lift the engine up from the passenger side. I think others have gotten them out without doing that though, so YMMV.

Floor jack, jackstand, block of wood, and a set of metric sockets and extensions. Power lead nut is 13mm, solenoid nut is 8mm, starter bolts are 15mm, motor mount bolts are 15mm, and downpipe v-band clamp is 11mm. IMO easiest way is to pull the passenger side wheel and fender liner, lets you see everything and really get in there. Lower starter bolt you may need some long extensions to get to with the socket wrench in front of the motor mount.

Last edited:

DirtyLMM08

Jun 19, 2013
Does it matter what brand starter to get? Tight on money but don't want to run into this again anytime soon. Advance auto has a toughone - new, a toughone - reman, and ac delco has to be ordered. will a reman be fine or no?

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
If you have to go the inexpensive route then get the one with the lifetime warranty so you never buy another one.

tirwin

Dec 30, 2014
Houston, Tx
Does it matter what brand starter to get? Tight on money but don't want to run into this again anytime soon. Advance auto has a toughone - new, a toughone - reman, and ac delco has to be ordered. will a reman be fine or no?

The reman starters are usually well built and tested, If you're tight on cash at the moment (which most of us are after Christmas) then I would personally go for it and hope for the best. I guess it's all up to how comfortable you feel. Just see if the parts store will test the reman in front of you before you buy if that'll give you some peace of mind.

testdrive

May 28, 2013
You should wack the starter hard with a hammer, give it a good shot while someone is trying to start it. If that works, than look hard at changing the starter.
Watch the battery voltage with a meter at the time you try to start.

DirtyLMM08

Jun 19, 2013
Picking up a reman starter at lunch. It has a lifetime replacement warranty and I'll make sure they test it before I leave. I'll try and get a start on it after work, but I think daylight will run out before I'm done. Plus I need to grab a few tools before I even start. Wish me luck!

DirtyLMM08

Jun 19, 2013
Yes sorry I haven't update the post, but the starter was definitely the problem. Pain in the rear to replace because of the tiny space u have to work in and the 5" exhaust didn't help. Works like a charm now though. I plan on getting my original hitachi rebuilt locally and have that for backup if my advance auto reman quits on me.