Hello and help

badswhite

Feb 18, 2014
missouri
My name is Brad I own an 06 gmc 3500 dually with a 6.6 lbz vin code D it has an edge on it it keeps throwing a p0087 code please help had it for 1.5 years first time it has done this

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
My name is Brad I own an 06 gmc 3500 dually with a 6.6 lbz vin code D it has an edge on it it keeps throwing a p0087 code please help had it for 1.5 years first time it has done this

Hi Brad, welcome to DD...

The code you're getting is a low rail pressure code, I'm pretty sure when you get "only" the p0087 code, it's due to the Fuel Rail Pressure Relief Valve or FRPRV opening up during times of increased pressure, the edge commands more rail pressure than the factory tune creating greater force against the FRPRV causing it to get weak over time and pop open more and more frequently.

Rest easy, there is a simple and easy diagnosis and fix...

I would first suggest you to do a bottle test on the FRPRV. Here's how to do it...
http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1995&highlight=bottle+test

Then you can either use a race valve, which is not recommended, or use a shim kit on the spring in the FRPRV, or get a new one and wait for it to wear out, or shim a new one from the getgo....that's up to you...

Your CP3 could be getting weak too, but there's another code that would pop up then as well as the P0087, iirc...

Anyways, this site is a wealth of info, use the search/advanced search function and look for key words, that should get you started

Good luck:thumb: