Helicoil turbo flange

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Bought a used Wehrli remote turbo setup. I found there is no threads in the T4 flange?! I was surprised, while there is room to use a nut on the backside, I would rather not. Is there any reason I should not use a Heli coil on this? And before anyone mentions a timesert, those are expensive and I already have Heli coil in the size I need lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I wasn't aware that helicoils could work in a non-threaded / smooth bore hole. I thought you had to get at least some semblance of threads for it to grip.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I wasn't aware that helicoils could work in a non-threaded / smooth bore hole. I thought you had to get at least some semblance of threads for it to grip.

I would have to drill and tap it. I just wasn’t sure if it’s fine because of the extreme heat it will see. I also, am thinking it will be pretty hard to drill and tap. Because of the Constant heat hardening it’s seen in the past lol

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
If it's cast steel or iron them it wouldn't age harden. Maybe just surface oxide that is hard to brake through. If stainless then it may age harden.

I would just tap then an use the existing holes without helicoils, unless they are way to large already. Nuts and bolts are your best bet to eliminate seizing the bolt in the flange. If it rusts or seizes in the flange then it is much harder to remove it

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I hate heli coils with a passion... First time you pull that bolt the heli coil is coming with it. Total bandaid imop... That being said cat uses special high temp bolts and stainless lock nuts. My twins all run the cat nuts and bolts. Only issue is trying to get those nuts on can be beotch on a pedestal. Whatever way you go make sure to use some high temp copper antiseeze on your exhaust bolts helps a ton when taking stuff back apart.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Or use brass nuts. When I did the turbo and manifold on my VW those brass/copper nuts where a godsend