LLY: Heat in Cab

ShredLordXx

May 13, 2015
Northern Ontario, Canada
How hot does the cab heater usually blow, I seem to have warmish air coming out, it's nothing like a gas trucks heat output by any means, I went touched the heater lines in the engine compartment, they seem just warm to the touch, my upper rad hose is just warm as well, if i touch the T-stat housing, it seems a bit warmer than the heater core hoses, and the upper rad hose, and this was after driving for about 25 minutes, on the highway, with a winter front on. It's about -18 Celsius here today, I guess that would be about 0 degrees F. It also takes quite awhile to warm up, which is sort of expected. Coolant is full, just wondering if this is normal, or if I should look at fixing something.

thanks for the help!

elliottw

Jan 23, 2013
ND
Might as well change thermostats if you haven't done so, and possibly a coolant flush as I see you have 380km on your signature.
They're cold blooded though, I get about half way to work before I get what I would call "good" heat blowing, same temps in ND.

ShredLordXx

May 13, 2015
Northern Ontario, Canada
Might as well change thermostats if you haven't done so, and possibly a coolant flush as I see you have 380km on your signature.
They're cold blooded though, I get about half way to work before I get what I would call "good" heat blowing, same temps in ND.

I flushed it in the summer, has brand new dex in it, has a new water pump too. I mean i get heat, but its basically like the heat you would get when a gas car is JUST warming up lol, so you think t-stats could be bad?

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
If its that cold out there, you probably need the winter front. That cover was definitely worth the cost of it for my comfort.

ShredLordXx

May 13, 2015
Northern Ontario, Canada
Shitty thing is I have been lucky not to cold this winter, if it was like last winter -40 -45 I would have died, its my first duramax so I wouldn't know any better. Maybe I should toss some of those high temp t-stats in, the only time i've seen my temp gauge hit the middle of the temp range is when towing my 32 foot hunting trailer, in the summer. Even when i tow it in the fall my temps don't move. This is what I usually run at, usually at the quarter mark between 75 and 100, and if stop doing highway speed about where it is in the pic. Not sure if thats normal or not. I have to fix my battery guage, it's the only one i didn't replace lol

ckNBPBY.jpg

ShredLordXx

May 13, 2015
Northern Ontario, Canada
Proof of winter front :) that was yesterday morning, high idle trying to warm up. I don't even find high idle does much, it kicks off even before i'm blowing any heat, pretty lame.

mKBtgph.jpg

Last edited:

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
Defiantly the thermostat my truck runs a mark under half at operating temp. Heat is hot enough you can't hold your hand in front of the vent for long. It's been -15 with same results. They do take a bit longer to warm up than gas vehicles. Imo

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Schwinn68

little gearhead
Jan 9, 2008
Minooka IL
My heat and temps are exactly the same as yours. And it's been like that as long as i can remember. I have a winter cover on mine too. I just throw on an extra hoodie when it gets too cold. I will be replacing the water pump soon so maybe I will put in new t stats at the same time.

ShredLordXx

May 13, 2015
Northern Ontario, Canada
Mine takes awhile to warm up, and when it does get to what seems to be operating temp, the heating is very mild, definitely not like a my gas truck which is like how motoking said, I would think with such a large motor, it would take time to warm up and then blow fire lol. I guess changing the t-stats will tell.

holyshitbatman

holyshitbatman
Mar 17, 2015
Albuquerque new mexico
I just did mine last weekend toasty warm now.get ac delco tstats thats whats the best from researching and reading what others use and are reliable.mine wouldnt get warm at all but both my tstats were totally gone.

holyshitbatman

holyshitbatman
Mar 17, 2015
Albuquerque new mexico
Gmpartsdirect is cheapest place i found to order them from or do what i did and have a cool dealer that will try to price match get em for same as ordering them.i got em from dealer for 84.orderibg them would have been about the same.