Heat exchangers

Moneywellspent

Dec 27, 2013
Idaho
Went to the track last Friday night and my trans gauge was showing 210*. So since my truck sees only street/strip use and no towing I'm thinking a bed mounted cooler would be a good way to go but has anybody ever used water to oil heat exchangers? C&r racings biggest heat exchanger is rated over 380 psi and 2502 btu/min. With a 160* thermostat on the oil side I don't see why this wouldn't work? Just kicking around the idea...

Here's the link,

http://www.crracing.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/heat_exchanger_diagram.pdf

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
If you are going to be bed mounted I dont think you would want a thermostat. Mine is bed mounted with two setrab coolers and fans. It stays surprisingly cool, but does heat up to operating temp way faster than a system which runs through the radiator like stock.

Moneywellspent

Dec 27, 2013
Idaho
If you are going to be bed mounted I dont think you would want a thermostat. Mine is bed mounted with two setrab coolers and fans. It stays surprisingly cool, but does heat up to operating temp way faster than a system which runs through the radiator like stock.

What line pressure are you running? I'm pretty sure I'm only running one shim but I could be wrong. If have to call and ask mike.

I'm just keeping my options open and looking for what's most efficient. Which is why I threw out the heat exchanger idea...

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Heat exchangers are limited to how much they can cool. They are used mainly to knock down initial heat since an air to oil cooler is inefficient below 35mph. You really need both.

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
The biggest problem with this is the need for another radiator for that oil to water cooler, then a water pump for it, then a expansion tank, then all the pluming to run all that stuff. In the end it would be just as good, a lot less overall headache and cheaper to put in one of Mikes coolers or something like that.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Stack coolers and electric fans

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk