Heads are lifting...what are my options?

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
My machine shop said they will smash in a couple thousandths at most. Said they do it all the time to aluminum heads with no trouble. Hell there is a 4G63 engine they build that makes more boost than us with Orings in the aluminum head.

I have no first hand experience and I'd love if i could just do my heads.

maine04max

Dec 11, 2008
how far outside the bore are people installing these o rings ? and does anyone know if they are using the .041 wire or .062 ?

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Little update.

Pulled my heads last Tuesday. Looked like #6 was the culprit. All other looked good. It would built abnormal pressure just normal driving but not spit coolant until I made higher boost.

Cleaned the heads up and checked flatness. They checked out perfect. Reused the ARP 2000 studs, installed new grade C gaskets and torqued to 140ft/lbs. It is working great so far. Can make 85 psi boost with zero abnormal pressure. Its a nice feeling.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Something interesting I noticed though between the blown gaskets and the new gaskets, looking at this chart shows that the blown gaskets were for an "overbore" engine, which mine is bored .020". New gaskets are for a "non overbore" engine. New gaskets are still larger than the cylinder bore, but still .030" smaller than the overbore gaskets.

I am curious as to if running these overbore gaskets may have contributed to any issues? My theory is that since these new gaskets have a .030" closer diameter to the cylinder bore, they will provide a better clamp/seal. Not sure how much compression ratio would be affected by that... Overall, the truck feels to be more responsive and run better all around after these new gaskets and valve adjustment. I can brake stall my chargers in a hurry. Probably 3 seconds faster than before.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Is there a way to fire ring the Duramax block and head (similar to what is commonly done on the Cummins) - where half the receiver groove is cut into the deck surface and the other half is cut into the head? A special head gasket would be required but that shouldn't be that difficult to source. I've never been a fan of o-ring and traditional head gaskets.

Mine is half and half, but it's in a sleeve and the head. I'm running graphite head gaskets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
c124e7afe4a10f6cb0b1f8cca4c3d480.jpg