Headgaskets, OEM VS Fel Pro

1pieceatatime

Mar 30, 2014
Schuyler NY
I know that everyone seems to push the OEM gaskets. Whats the general thoughts on Fel Pro's? Anyone prfer them ( or any other brand for that matter) instead of the OEM? I searched a bit and a didn't find much.

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
I am no expert but I believe the new factory gaskets are the way to go. Grade C's I believe.

1pieceatatime

Mar 30, 2014
Schuyler NY
I probably should have mentioned that I have done a handful of headgasket jobs with the Fel Pro grade Cs and no issues to date.

I found some older threads that talk about the Cometics being junk. It just seems like there is no info out there about anyone actually using anything other than OEM.

BobbyBDirtyMax

US Marine Corps Retired
Feb 15, 2013
Madisonville, KY
I've always used OEM gaskets and never had any issues, as temperamental as head gaskets can be on these trucks, I stick with what I know works, OEM. FelPro is good stuff though from what I've seen on gas stuff over the years, trial and error I suppose but it's a hell of a lot different swapping BBC gaskets vs a DMax.

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!". I've always had great luck with stock gaskets, and many others also, that's why they don't try other brands.

New stock C grades are $32 a piece or something, how much cheaper can the others be??

1pieceatatime

Mar 30, 2014
Schuyler NY
Well there you go.

OEM is the way to go.

And this is exactly as productive as I expected this conversation to be.....But I figured it was worth a shot.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!". I've always had great luck with stock gaskets, and many others also, that's why they don't try other brands.

New stock C grades are $32 a piece or something, how much cheaper can the others be??

Well, I was using Fel Pro's at $70 a piece and I didn't think it was broke. :roflmao:

4-5 years ago when I was completely new to these trucks and did mine, the dealer was about the same price as Fel Pros at my rate so I went with the Fel Pros and just continued to do so out of habit.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
New stock are the cheapest for sure. I have used Felpro and they work and look like the old version grade C gaskets. New ones are cheaper and work so why spend more money than necessary.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

1pieceatatime

Mar 30, 2014
Schuyler NY
New stock are the cheapest for sure. I have used Felpro and they work and look like the old version grade C gaskets. New ones are cheaper and work so why spend more money than necessary.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Fel Pro does have a newer updated design, how long thats been in play I'm not exactly sure. I believe my truck has the older design gasket but I'm not 100% sure.

the grade C merchant sells are 100+ a side, am i missing something or are those not stock gaskets?

Thats probably based on what dealer list was on them previously which I believe has gone down. My price on them through my account at the dealer is in line with what Yellow Jacket posted VS $80 a piece for the Fel-Pros.

1pieceatatime

Mar 30, 2014
Schuyler NY
Oem used to be pretty spendy. Prices came down dramatically in 2011.

I'm gonna bring this thread back up. I just saw someplace else that someone suggested the newest ( less expensive) OEM gaskets, Part #s 12637785 & 12637788 are not as good. Anyone got any input on the matter?

gl4787

<-- just sits
Jan 27, 2009
WI
I'm gonna bring this thread back up. I just saw someplace else that someone suggested the newest ( less expensive) OEM gaskets, Part #s 12637785 & 12637788 are not as good. Anyone got any input on the matter?

I'm also interested in this, those things are super cheap compared to what I've seen.

ThebigGids

Jun 13, 2011
Bellingham, wa
I'm running the new LML gaskets, guess time will tell.

But I do know there are tons of high HP trucks out there running them also with 0 problems. :thumb:

1pieceatatime

Mar 30, 2014
Schuyler NY
I'm running the new LML gaskets, guess time will tell.

But I do know there are tons of high HP trucks out there running them also with 0 problems. :thumb:

I just did three trucks this month with those part #s. None of em should have enough power to be an issue. But the negative comment elsewhere made me wonder a bit.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk