Head testing for pullers

JD Dave

In way over my head
May 19, 2008
Caledon, Ontario
Ok, I am in the works with Freedom Racing Engines on putting together a .100" over, internally balanced, filled shortblock...but will not be able to purchase Wagler heads to go with it...so I will most likely be using my ported LLY heads on the shortblock and running coolant thru them.

Thanks

I'm very happy your short block is in the works now.

lawnboy01

Mar 29, 2007
New Philadelphia, Ohio
Just an update on the Wagler cast iron heads. After a full season on them, everything checked out. Sent them back to Waglers for inspection. Valve seats were in excellent condition. Surface of the head still flat, No warpage. All in all, a clean bill of health.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
View attachment 45258

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I guess I could give an update on ours too. After 2 seasons on our solid aluminum with ductile iron inserts, they are still flat. But we experienced an injector sealing issue this season that would surface after each pull, only at the 1500+hp power level class we dabble in, though. At limited pro stock power levels, never had an issue. Once cooled back down it would reseal. It was like the slightest copper washer leak u can imagine. I jerked them off right away in Nov to get them checked and we found that the injector 'pads' that the copper washer sits on are driving down thru the iron insert. I immediately contacted Jeremy and he said they have a fix for that issue. They have a new insert that replaces that aluminum pad with ductile iron.

Just some background on them, we basically got the first set from the new foundry but also the last set of aluminum sold to a puller. If we had waited another month or two we would have ended up with iron ones like Mike. But no big complaints yet, really.
33ff50a770f05174301569e5aeb0d239.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
So true!!

we are not here to beat a dead horse.

If people would like to compare factual information like charts and so on with lawnboy, i see no issue with that. there is no reason we cant be civil if lawnboy is. if you come in with crap like above or short statements, your post wont last. give something to back up what you are stating and discuss like adults.

lawnboy01

Mar 29, 2007
New Philadelphia, Ohio
we are not here to beat a dead horse.

If people would like to compare factual information like charts and so on with lawnboy, i see no issue with that. there is no reason we cant be civil if lawnboy is. if you come in with crap like above or short statements, your post wont last. give something to back up what you are stating and discuss like adults.

Bingo

Incase you guys haven’t noticed. Duramax is sucking hind tit when it comes to Cummins. I don’t want to hear about street trucks. I want to hear about purpose built pulling trucks. When it comes to to the bigger classes we can’t hold a candle to the the Cummins. So instead of bashing everybody maybe come together to try and get ahead. But I’m starting to think the Duramax is going to have a hard time catching Cummins. Prove me wrong

ctodd36

Nov 4, 2016
Otego, NY
After reading this I am glad I went with the cam and heads I chose for my 2.5 truck, I don't have the wallet some of you PPL boys have but this is an excellent thread of information. I think the gains that the duramax has made In the last 5 years it wont be long to catch up to the dinosaur. I wonder if injection has anything to do with the ability of a mechanical motor to create such power. They can get a giant amount of fuel to dump at the precise time where as these bosch injectors are limited to 500 overs. mechanical injectors in comparison are up to an 800 over injector. not saying that is the answer but from what ive been told could be some of our issue. also if you take a 12v head and port the hell out of it you've got a place for all that air to go through as well. I think before long these shops will get this 8 cyl motor figured out. good luck to all you fellow pullers this summer and lets try and share some information on what we find works and doesn't work!