LB7: head studs

Darin13

Oct 6, 2009
NY
I am at the point now where i wanna put head studs in how hard would they be to do myself and does anyone know the cheapest place to get them?

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Are you changing head gaskets at the same time or swaping head stud for each head bolt you take out ? Also you have a pm.

Darin13

Oct 6, 2009
NY
i would like to just tear it all down and put in new possibly thicker head gaskets then studs

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
All the info for doing the jobus post in the Gm spec area. And if you can not find it I will get it for you or get a pic from a build we have done and help talk you thru the job. As the pm I can get the studs to you and I can also get every other gasket or seal you would need to do this job.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
sorry to hijack but henry what if you just wanna swap them out one by one in an LLY? how bad of a job is that?

Its a Bi*** , I would never do it again, I would stick with stock bolts untill it fails then pull the motor and d the head gaskets . I also would never do head gaskets with the motor in the truck either ,its def worth pulling it , once you have done enough it you can have a motor on the ground in 2.5 hours :D

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Same as Trent said some times it's easier doing it out side the truck. But also it might cost someone more money in the long run to get the ac recharged or if while pulling the motor they forget to unbolt somthing and get in a hurry and break something then they would of been better of taking there time doing it in the truck. Also if you do it in the truck buy yourself a topside creeper most places I found they come with a nice tool tool tray that matchs it think notheren tools

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
ok F it then...i was gonna say if i don't have to pull the heads and it wasn't too crazy hard it would be nice preventive maintenance but i'm not going through that trouble to fix something that isn't broke

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
Why is it so hard to do though on an LLY? What has to come off besides the accessories and valve covers?

IDK the answer, but I know it only took me and a buddy 3 hrs to pull my LLY motor out of my truck;) I really cant see why changing the studs one at a time in a LLY (in the truck) would be any harder then any other model though:confused: