Head gasket$$?

aggar

Still Learnin!
Mar 9, 2008
Kirklin, IN
How much would a Head Gasket job for an LB7 cost in a general Ball park? I think they're shot and I'm just trying to get an idea. IF there was more damage how much would an entire replacment engine cost?

Sledhead

Mountain Pass Machine
Nov 29, 2008
BC
I've seen 36 hrs and 39 hrs posted. I picked up a spare motor from a wreck for $2k and am running that while I do the head gaskets myself. Just need to know if the heads can be resurfaced?

Sledhead

Mountain Pass Machine
Nov 29, 2008
BC
Good news! One side looks great but one has a lip which stops a fingernail. I'm off searching...

NelsonDiesel

Formerly StewieTuned
May 8, 2008
Buena Park, CA
www.NelsonDiesel.com
i believe the gm spec is anythign over .003" and you need a new head. I just installed 2 new heads because of this(warranty). Guy at SocalDiesel can resurface them. He will also reseat the valves for proper piston to valve clearance.

aggar

Still Learnin!
Mar 9, 2008
Kirklin, IN
If I could find a replacement for cheaper than the HG job should I drop it in, especially if it's a lower mileage motor? This one has 140k on it and about 1k on the injectors.

aggar

Still Learnin!
Mar 9, 2008
Kirklin, IN
Well went out and checked the oil. about 2 inches overfull but can't smell the coolant, maybe oil smell is stronger than coolant? Still had pressure under the overflow cap. Shut the truck off friday night at about 11pm and it's sat since then. Have not tried starting it. Should I try run it up on a trailer or have it towed?

NelsonDiesel

Formerly StewieTuned
May 8, 2008
Buena Park, CA
www.NelsonDiesel.com
Well went out and checked the oil. about 2 inches overfull but can't smell the coolant, maybe oil smell is stronger than coolant? Still had pressure under the overflow cap. Shut the truck off friday night at about 11pm and it's sat since then. Have not tried starting it. Should I try run it up on a trailer or have it towed?

a short running up a trailer shouldn't hurt. Any damage done won't be affected by a quick drive up some ramps...

a tow would be the absolute safest bet though....

White Duramax

Jun 25, 2008
ohio
Are you sure its not fuel in the oil? Usually don't get coolant in the oil on a Duramax. Usually bad head gaskets will leak externally or put compression in the cooling system. Did they change the oil after the injector job?

NelsonDiesel

Formerly StewieTuned
May 8, 2008
Buena Park, CA
www.NelsonDiesel.com
Are you sure its not fuel in the oil? Usually don't get coolant in the oil on a Duramax. Usually bad head gaskets will leak externally or put compression in the cooling system. Did they change the oil after the injector job?

i agree !

i did not realize LB7, i saw the LBZ in your sig and i thought i saw that in your post. Possibly injector issues with overfilled oil !

aggar

Still Learnin!
Mar 9, 2008
Kirklin, IN
When I go the truck Oil looked new. Injectors were done before i got it. Right now it has 140,5xx on it and they were done at 139,4xx. So I am stumped. I'm gonna go out and loosen the drain plug to see what comes out first.

aggar

Still Learnin!
Mar 9, 2008
Kirklin, IN
Yep looks like maybe 1000 miles on it. I'm guessing when the injectors were done they changed it. But I dunno.

aggar

Still Learnin!
Mar 9, 2008
Kirklin, IN
Cracked the drain plug and oil ran out. It's 20* today and the truck has been sitting since Friday night. Only opened the drain plug about half a turn. The oil should've been thicker than what it was.

aggar

Still Learnin!
Mar 9, 2008
Kirklin, IN
I did the dipstick test and it started out to separate. the oil running out the bottom was black but not on the dipstick.