LLY: head gasket suggestions

tdcmann

Jan 7, 2010
tn
Ok so basically I have a 05 lly ccdrw. The truck only has 112,450 and i've owned it since 28,000. Its all stock except for exhaust. From what ive read and can tell its blown a head gasket, which im pretty pissed over because the truck has been babied and well very maintained. So my question is what upgrades would you do while replacing gaskets head studs etc??? I tow with the truck and have plenty of power stock just dont wanna be in the same position again....

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006
It's not really the head gaskets fault so much as it is the factory "torque to yield" head bolts. The gasket can't do it's job if the head isn't kept clamped to the block. My advice, ARP head studs.

Guy

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Mine blew with arp studs. I wish we could get bolts.

Last edited by a moderator:

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Mine blew with arp studs. I wish we could get bolts.

No comprendae?

my 05 has blown 4 sets of head gaskets after 200 000 miles the pass side is the worst and 2 gaskets have blown with stock tuning

I know people that run big boost and have had way better results than me with my 22 psi of boost? I hate it!!!! these people that say they run 45+ psi of boost on stock bolts and gaskets im like WTF? at first i blemed my tuning but after blowing gaskets on new motor and heads with stock tune i didnt buy that theory! my thought is that it is DP after logging stock drive press i realized that it was a common 3:1 ratio throwing a tune to it was barely 2:1 with the VVT throwing on the htt i was lucky to get over 1:1:eek:

point is like Guy said replace the head bolts with studs......better yet replace the stock POS VVT the VVT SUCK IMHO!!!!! get a real turbo!

i have to replace my gaskets this spring cause they are leaking again and when i do that ill be chucking the POS VVT in the trash....this is just my personal opinion but owning a 05 its what i have learnt

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
I wish we could get better bolts. Mine still blew with arp studs. That was my experience with them. I was running the htt and duel fuelers though.

Question for Guy, Would you still tq to the value arp specs out, if you didnt hone the bores with a tq plate?? Or would you back off on the tq a little??

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Wade i dont understand studs are at the very least twice as stong tensile strenght than any bolt? whats your theory?

Yeah you are right about that, I was just thinking about the guys (who stay stock) and who want something better than stock head bolts. I always thought you needed to hone the bores with arp studs??

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006
Question for Guy, Would you still tq to the value arp specs out, if you didnt hone the bores with a tq plate?? Or would you back off on the tq a little??

That's a tough question, the studs provide more clamp load when torqued to their proper value, however they will also distort the bore a little as we increase the torque from stock.

My opinion is, keeping the head gasket from blowing is more important than a little more blow by.

Guy

tdcmann

Jan 7, 2010
tn
Ok so the arp studs are a must. What about aftermarket gaskets??? From what ive found everyone says gm gaskets are the best... Is this the case???

tdcmann

Jan 7, 2010
tn
Yes, atleast thats what I am going with;)

Well I drag race ,a camaro, as a hobby so i had already made my mind up to put a stud kit in it. Even though at first everyone i talked with said i shouldnt since i did'nt really "tune" the truck. Thanks for everyones opinions and help. i'll give you all some pics and updates when i get started..

Durasizzle

Oct 3, 2008
Stony Plain. Alberta
What about the gas-lock gaskets from DPR. I know you have to get a groove cut into the head/block but surely it should cure most if not all of the issues with head gaskets? Since the ring expands when the head lifts it always keeps the cylinder sealed.

Or are these for more of a race only type application?

Last edited:

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006
Tried the gas locks many years ago.

They are nitrogen filled O-rings from Garlock. Without a groove to support them on the inside, the pressure gets behind them and collapses them to the center of the bore. Looks like a pie slice when it fails.

On our really high boost engines, along with 14mm studs we cut a groove in the block as well as a corresponding groove in the cylinder head. A solid stainless O-ring is used to seal combustion and we machine the head gasket just a little bit larger than the OD of the O-ring so all the gasket has to do is seal water.

The "seal joint" is now at the bottom of each groove instead of at the block or head surface. The pressure works right at the largest cross section of the O-ring and the ring is supported both on the OD and ID by the groove so it can't get pushed around.

And yes, there are stainless alloys that are compatable with aluminum heads. The Diesel World "Fire Rings 101" article left much to be desired with regard to Duramax applications.

Guy

Krazykid

<-Daily Thought Process
Nov 22, 2008
Upstate, SC
Thanks to everyone for the great information as I to am in the middle of trying to figure out what direction I need to proceed with my 04.5 lly. I haven't seen oil in the coolant, but the upper Rad. hose is pretty darn firm after cool down. Not real sure how to go about this project?

Last edited:

68skylark455

Larry the "Stroker"
Aug 7, 2008
Texas
www.larrysperformancepalace.com
We used the first arps with the 7.1 build with gm gaskets. No issues until the oil cooler filled the cooling system with oil. he said it didn't heat up but it started smoking whit when you first start it then got progressively worse. We are going back with the next up arps and still using the gm gaskets. After seeing this thing apart again I wish they had the better aprs the first time. No issues but just the time involved I think its better to go with the stronger ones first.

wdino73

Sep 25, 2009
Versailles, Ky
Does everyone agree that when u blow a head gasket u should have the heads checked, Just a thought, especially if u bought the truck used an don't know how it was treated;