head gasket cost

WSUcowboy

500 club baby!!
Aug 7, 2006
Spokane, WA
from those that have had it done... by someone else, what did it cost?

I have no problems with working on transmissions, suspension, stuff like that, but when it comes to the engine I would prefer to keep my fingers out of it.:rolleyes:

TIA -Jeff:alcoholic:

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Not really that bad man.

I just got done helping KevinL do his Headgaskets and its not that bad, just take your time.
heads are the worst cuz their heavy and akward.
you gunna get studs while your in there?

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
just for shits and giggles.

gm hg are like 90 each. 180.
studs just say 550.
labor @ 70/hr
easily takes 15 hours.

WSUcowboy

500 club baby!!
Aug 7, 2006
Spokane, WA
time is also a major problem, we have 3 camping trips lined up in the next 2 months and I am working about 60hrs a week in between those trips.... so this really couldn't have come at a worse time...

Max Power

Mar 16, 2007
Manitoba
I had a guy do it for me. Keep in mind that this is Canadian dollars so it's roughly 20% less. He is a GM mechanic so he ordered all parts through his dealer. Parts were almost $1000! He replaced a lot of gaskets, orings etc. Included GM head gaskets and bolts. The parts man is a personal friend of mine so he gave me a pretty good cut on the parts too. Canadian's get raped on GM parts compared to US. Probably double.

He charged me $700 to do the labour which was $35/hr at 20hrs.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
I had a guy do it for me. Keep in mind that this is Canadian dollars so it's roughly 20% less. He is a GM mechanic so he ordered all parts through his dealer. Parts were almost $1000! He replaced a lot of gaskets, orings etc. Included GM head gaskets and bolts. The parts man is a personal friend of mine so he gave me a pretty good cut on the parts too. Canadian's get raped on GM parts compared to US. Probably double.

He charged me $700 to do the labour which was $35/hr at 20hrs.

was this on the 09 you have in the upper right.

only thing you really need on a lly lbz lmm is the head gaskets,97 ea, head bolts are not bad maybe in the 200 area. all the orings and other gaskets can be reused.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
most shops charge around 3,500 with parts and labor for LB7 have heard of some that charge more.

Last edited:

WSUcowboy

500 club baby!!
Aug 7, 2006
Spokane, WA
random question... do you have to drain any oil when doing it? I dont think so but I figured I would ask the question cause I just switched to amsoil about 200 mi. ago.

KEVINL

Jul 4, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
No you do not have to drain the oil

I have about $1000 dollars in parts which includes ARP Studs

But I didn't count the head gasket I ruined:eek:

Do you have soot in your coolant tank?

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
It would be best to change the oil, just incase to get anything down inside.But if you drain the coolant from the side of the block and get it all out you might be able to get away with it.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Are you guys pulling the motors like alot of people or are you leaving it in the truck? Someday I will do this just as a preventative maintenance.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Are you guys pulling the motors like alot of people or are you leaving it in the truck? Someday I will do this just as a preventative maintenance.

Kevin and I did it in the truck, not that bad, but steering shaft boot gets in the way, but not that bad.

Mr boot and mr shorty... :rofl:

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa

You can. I pefer to. Pulling the engine is not hard and removing the heads and working on the block is so much easier on the back with engine on the stand.;)

LB7Diesel

Oh Boy!
Sep 3, 2006
Melbourne, F.L.
I would think the short amount of time pulling the core support and the engine would be way worth it in the end. Sitting on a chair in the garage working on it, is much easier than leaning over the fenders for hours.

Just a thought:D Good luck!

SHOTZY

<"Whats next??"
Aug 27, 2008
melbourne, fl
I would think the short amount of time pulling the core support and the engine would be way worth it in the end. Sitting on a chair in the garage working on it, is much easier than leaning over the fenders for hours.

Just a thought:D Good luck!

Thats a good idea Joey. Maybe I'll try that.:D Definately makes it easier.