Having trouble with lbz

Fastorange

Jan 31, 2009
ohio
I have been having issues with an lbz.. Truck is a cab and chassis truck, has 2 fuel tanks.. I replaced the cp3 pump and wile watching efi live, if i pump the primer up till its hard. And try to start the truck, it makes 900 to 1000 psi of rail pressure, then after a cranking it over a few times the truck makes less and less rail pressure till it only makes 150 psi and at that point the batterys are about dead... A few days ago i removed the return line and took an old return line and made it so i could isolate each injector return in to its own bottel... I then pumped up the primer untill hard and left to go to the store(90 mins or so).. When i returned i noticed a small amount of fuel in cylinder #6 return bottle.. So i then changed it out for a different bottel that wasnt use.. I think pumped the primer again, and turned the key on till the truck timed itself out.. I used a medicine spoon i bought from drugmart to messure in ml because I couldn't find a graduated cylinder or anything a long that line.. I tried to test 4 to 5 times.. And i got anywhere from 6ml to 9.. My question are, am i testing correct? I onow that i dont have the $300 test kit.. And i know lbz are supposed to be reliable as far as injectors, has anyone had to replace them all in one bank?

Last edited:

testdrive

May 28, 2013
Is the starter spinning the engine at proper starting RPM? Batteries good?
Is this a truck that you have been driving? Why did you replace the CP3? You state that you pump the primer hard, but you have raptor 150 pump. Are you thinking that the injectors are returning way too much and the CP3 can't build pressure. If you can get it back together, measure the total flow of the tank return to tank for a 30 second crank. If the total for example is under a 100 ml, I would think the CP3 should build pressure. If it is a whole lot more than pop the return lines and give it a crank. See if any of them is leaking the most.
Is any of the fuel getting into the cylinder. Remove the glow plugs.
Good luck, I not an expert.

Fastorange

Jan 31, 2009
ohio
The truck with the lift pump is my truck.. The lbz with the issue is not.. Before i tried command rail pressure to 160mpa with efi live and it only made 7k... You could pump the primer and it would stay hard for 2 mins... Now with the new cp3 it takes 9 mins to bleed off.. I hooked pressure up to it and it still takes forever to start.. I checked the fprv and its not that.. So then i took the main line off to the injector return one bank at a time.. Passanger side bank only returned 5 ml.. And the drivers side returned 32ml... So that leae to believe that there was a problem on the drivers bank... So that why i isolated each return on the drivers side

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Disconnect the lines to the tank at the connection on the driver side valve cover, cap the engine side of one and hookup a $30 mityvac to the other to pressure test the whole system. But this time you've taken the quick connects out of the equation. I've seen those orings in the connectors leak

Fastorange

Jan 31, 2009
ohio
Tim,its not losing fuel on the tank side of the filter hosing.. Ive installed clear lines to watch for bubbles.. I looked at both fuel caps, and one is kinda rusty looking.. I almost wonder if the previous owner only used 1 tank and moisture and water getting to the rear tank.. Which took its toll on the fuel system

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
You installed clear line on the return lines too? If not, you can take all the injector returns off, pressurize the feeds, and look to see which ones leak out. If none do, your leak is at the nozzle, which you'll find by pulling glow plugs after cold cranking.

Fastorange

Jan 31, 2009
ohio
It seems as all the pressue is returning somewhere... If i pump the primer up till hard and try to turn it over wile watching the scan tool.. It shows 900 to 1000 psi rail pressure.. But after 5 mins or so the pressure drops to 150ish psi? Is it because all the pressure at the primer that was pumped up befor had returned? And that the cp3 isn't spining fast enuf to supply more fuel? Or is it simply not getting fuel at all?