Have the itch for another duramax

07keo02

Oct 5, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
So I have owned two Lb7's but currently drive a leased 2015 ram 1500. Like the Ram okay but I am making a big career move in August and am thinking I want back in a duramax. What I can't decide is which one. Part of me is considering an lb7 that maybe needs injector so I can come out with a decent truck and little debt. Another side of me loves having the worry free warranty and trouble free miles I would get with a new truck. The third side says meet in the middle and get an lbz or lmm but I really like the latest interior and body. I guess no real solid question but anyone have similar situations and how did you go about it?

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Most importantly is what are you doing with it?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

battlegraduate09

Gearhead
Mar 18, 2010
I'm in the same situation as the op. Mine will be a dedicated camper puller but I can't get over the fact that for what a new duramax costs, I can buy 2 older trucks. Not to mention I would still come out cheaper insuring 2 older ones instead of just one new one.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Maybe I'm just a dumb redneck but I'd take an old truck over a new one any day. I've had a 2010 lmm and a '15 f150 in the past year. Both were very nice trucks but I was scared to drive and use them. When the 2010 got T-boned I was beyond pissed. Traded it in on the Ford because it just wasn't the same to me anymore. I just sold the Ford a few days ago because I bought a '95 GMC that I've been driving. Wish I'd have just fixed and kept my lly. I'm on the lookout for an lb7 or lly on the cheap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Maybe I'm just a dumb redneck but I'd take an old truck over a new one any day. I've had a 2010 lmm and a '15 f150 in the past year. Both were very nice trucks but I was scared to drive and use them. When the 2010 got T-boned I was beyond pissed. Traded it in on the Ford because it just wasn't the same to me anymore. I just sold the Ford a few days ago because I bought a '95 GMC that I've been driving. Wish I'd have just fixed and kept my lly. I'm on the lookout for an lb7 or lly on the cheap.

He's back...:D

07keo02

Oct 5, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Mostly camper pulling. I'm a helicopter mechanic 5 days on call a week so will commute with a cheap car. Have 7000 pound bumper pull that I would like to upgrade to a larger 5th wheel. I forgot to mention, the lease will have to be traded in so that is an issue as well.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
He's back...:D
I never left, can't get away from Duramax's even though I work for Cat now. Have to do a FPR on an lly tomorrow and possibly heads on an lbz next weekend. I might get another broken 6.0 Powerstroke I haven't decided yet. Those are always a good flip. Just depends on what I can get a deal on.

07keo02

Oct 5, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I think I'm leaning towards an 06-07 LBZ. Should be nice, reliable, but decent priced. I have to think about the taxes I would have to pay including sales and property as well as insurance like mentioned above. Injectors in the lb7 don't scare me too much but I despise the cups. Had one not properly seated after I did injectors and, well you can imagine how much I enjoyed tearing back into it. I really really like this one but it will likely be gone by September when I'm ready to buy.

http://www.northtexastruckstop.com/...ado-2500HD-Classic-2007-Mansfield-TX/1904671/

07keo02

Oct 5, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
What's everyone's thoughts on finding a higher mileage clean, rust free LBZ so I can end up in the 15K range instead of 25K for a 100K truck? Last lb7 I bought was 278K and ran great but you do run into small issues (pulley's, ball joints, hoses, belts, etc.). So torn. Hard decision when I have choices.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Used truck values are through the roof, IMO. If you're not scared to work on them, I think your are better off getting a high mile truck and replacing all the wear items than getting a lower mileage one. You're in it some labor, but have everything fresh for less money in the end.

Or maybe I've been into too many LB7s and I've become numb to the effort required?

Sent from my FlashScan V2

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
If you buy an lbz maybe wait a year, prices on 06-08 trucks seem to be taking a dip. Why not get an lly that needs gaskets, shouldn't be too hard to find :D

07keo02

Oct 5, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
If you buy an lbz maybe wait a year, prices on 06-08 trucks seem to be taking a dip. Why not get an lly that needs gaskets, shouldn't be too hard to find :D

I'm not interested in gaskets lol. Going to be pretty busy with plans at the new house (pond, safe room etc.) and work. I can handle lb7 injectors, but do not want to take on gaskets right off the bat (I know they are a risk with any truck though). I am going to want to buy before the end of the year so I don't pay Missouri property tax next year on the ram.

07keo02

Oct 5, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Used truck values are through the roof, IMO. If you're not scared to work on them, I think your are better off getting a high mile truck and replacing all the wear items than getting a lower mileage one. You're in it some labor, but have everything fresh for less money in the end.

Or maybe I've been into too many LB7s and I've become numb to the effort required?

Sent from my FlashScan V2

It has cross my mind. I can find lb7's on the cheap. I'm not scared of injectors and on both my trucks I re-did the entire front ends including a-arm bushing right out of the gate.

07keo02

Oct 5, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
My mint loaded 06 lbz with 180k was still valued at $22k a year ago.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

A lot of them still go for that but there is a couple of high volume diesel dealers around here that will let them go for a very reasonable price. Trade off is they give auction value for the trade in.

07keo02

Oct 5, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
On a side note, did steering radius ever improve with the newer trucks? I am going CCSB or CCLB and my 02 and 03 it was pretty poor.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Steering radius is better on the lml truck, no more problems turning the wheels at a stop and brake are better.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk