Hanging vain position. Danville 72 vgt

whitey

DIESEL NUT
Dec 2, 2014
Minnesota
Having trouble with danville 72 vgt hanging vain position at times. I just recently installed and took it to a open house dyno day last weekend. It drives fine on tune 3. But tune 4 and 5 under a load getting a popping noise. I sent mark the logs. The only thing he could see was that it was hanging vain position at times. Turbo has hardly any miles on it. Wondering if anyone has any ideas on what it could be? Also did a compression check last night. Every cylinder was over 300 except driver side rear cylinder was at 260, wondering if it could be a valve train issue. Just not sure how that would cause a turbo issue.

whitey

DIESEL NUT
Dec 2, 2014
Minnesota
Yes, had the 68r on before. Planning on twins or triples this winter. Trying to get it fixed. The 68 rocked!

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
Have you tried a bleed down yet on the cylinder that is low compared to the others ? You might have a cracked piston and be able to catch it before even worse things happen ! Good luck finding problem !

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Have you tried a bleed down yet on the cylinder that is low compared to the others ? You might have a cracked piston and be able to catch it before even worse things happen ! Good luck finding problem !

It could be that, my LLY did (I think) wha he’s talking about, nothing fixed it but a new motor. Mine only did it on a stock tune though.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Somehow I missed those compression numbers.

You got some bent rods my friend. You should be in the 400s so you would have had to really kill some valves to be them

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia

You got some bent rods my friend. You should be in the 400s so you would have had to really kill some valves to be them

Yep, I don’t see it being valves, mine were slightly melted, well pretty cooked, it missed bad in the winter unless it was warmed up, did all new top end and still did it with stock timing/fuel, piston walls were smooth but weren’t junk, injectors were junk, so that could have been it as well.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Yep, I don’t see it being valves, mine were slightly melted, well pretty cooked, it missed bad in the winter unless it was warmed up, did all new top end and still did it with stock timing/fuel, piston walls were smooth but weren’t junk, injectors were junk, so that could have been it as well.

He’s got the same numbers I had when mine bent and it would pop like that. That 260psi compression just can’t burn the fuel and it lights some left over fuel when it shouldn’t

whitey

DIESEL NUT
Dec 2, 2014
Minnesota

New long block ready to go in. Amazing what they take in stock form. 2 seasons at 750hp plus pulling finally did her in