Gun safes

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
Again, unless you are getting a TL30 rated safe, and even then... its going to get broken into given the time.

So build walls around the weak sides of the safe, and bolt it down securely to prevent it from being tipped and then door pried open. It will prevent the common thief/meth head from grabbing your stuff but a real dedicated criminal will get in.

Hell, given the proper training, and a sharp drill bit, I bet you can break into a lot of em very quickly. But, thats a slim chance of happening. 80/20 rule. ;)

Buy what you can afford and give it as much added help as possible. My uncle placed his in a closet then framed it in so you can't ever remove the safe. (easily at least)

Osubeaver

Professional Grade
Aug 30, 2008
Oregon
Again, unless you are getting a TL30 rated safe, and even then... its going to get broken into given the time.

So build walls around the weak sides of the safe, and bolt it down securely to prevent it from being tipped and then door pried open. It will prevent the common thief/meth head from grabbing your stuff but a real dedicated criminal will get in.

Hell, given the proper training, and a sharp drill bit, I bet you can break into a lot of em very quickly. But, thats a slim chance of happening. 80/20 rule. ;)

Buy what you can afford and give it as much added help as possible. My uncle placed his in a closet then framed it in so you can't ever remove the safe. (easily at least)

:thumb:

I was posting the info I did to at least give people the chance to read about what they are buying.

Buy what you feel comfortable with and have insurance coverage if you want.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Liberty put theirs to several tests showing that a cutoff wheel, torch, sledge and several other tools used to bust shit open wouldn't go through. Plus alot of theirs have good fire ratings, a safe should protect your investments and documents from fire just as good as theft.

Maybe through the door?

If you can't torch the sidewall of a typical gun safe open, you don't deserve to operate a torch. Or was this a propane torch :roflmao:

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Maybe through the door?

If you can't torch the sidewall of a typical gun safe open, you don't deserve to operate a torch. Or was this a propane torch :roflmao:

I'm not saying it's impossible, no safe is 100%. I'm saying from what I saw you would be there for a minute.

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
Been doing alot of research the last few days since I've been laid up with strained back muscles & can't do much

I found a large safe dealer about an hour & half from me that has a big showroom, cabelas isn't that far away so I'll stop there too
I looked on Liberty's website, was looking at the Colonial 50($2199) & Franklin 50($3099).
I like their dimensions 72.5" x 42" x 30.5"
Interesting thing I found out is that gun safes are tax exempt in Mass

cdbright

JUST RENT IT
Dec 16, 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
i got this Cabelas safe, used all my Cabelas points from 2 yrs to get it, then dry walled around it in my basement, it says 86 gun,, not sure you could really fit that many in there but i love it

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
Another related item, if its a good safe that seals up well, and you live in anywhere with varying temp/humidity make sure you invest in a good way to control moisture in the safe.

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
We have a customer that has some of those packets they put in stuff to keep moisture out they usually say "do not eat". These don't. They are rather large. I have two of them in our safe and haven't had any issues.
26cf9bbce411b733bfb14493fb1300b7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 7 using Tapatalk

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
Can you microwave em dry?

I have a similar setup, mine is a metal can that I bake when it turns pink

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
I don't know if you can microwave them or not. I will try one at work next time the boss man is on vacation :D

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
You cant, they are a toss when hard kinda deal. We used em in the electrical cabinets on wind tower components. Had to change them every 3 months but they do work

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
Another related item, if its a good safe that seals up well, and you live in anywhere with varying temp/humidity make sure you invest in a good way to control moisture in the safe.
Definitely have to get a good dehumidifier since the safe is going in the basement & we have high humidity most of the year

Lbzmaxx

Jun 16, 2016
Michigan
So.. x2 on liberty go to their website and do some simple research on fire ratings and so on YouTube has some good videos on the testing on libertys

Good luck

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
Just had a customer come in wanting to know if I could take a torch to a gun safe and get it open. He said it was in a fire and the tumbler got messed up and the guy who owns it has dementia and his family wants in it. I said no for multiple reasons #1 a torch and the carpet inside are a big no no. #2 nobody knows what's in it except for guy who can't remember what's in it. #3 there may be ammo in it, I know mine has ammo in it and torches and ammo don't mix. #4 what if his will and $100K in cash is in it? #5 I am sure there are some legal papers that need to be filled out before a machine shop goes safe cracking.

lutzjk913

May 5, 2010
groveport, ohio
Just had a customer come in wanting to know if I could take a torch to a gun safe and get it open. He said it was in a fire and the tumbler got messed up and the guy who owns it has dementia and his family wants in it. I said no for multiple reasons #1 a torch and the carpet inside are a big no no. #2 nobody knows what's in it except for guy who can't remember what's in it. #3 there may be ammo in it, I know mine has ammo in it and torches and ammo don't mix. #4 what if his will and $100K in cash is in it? #5 I am sure there are some legal papers that need to be filled out before a machine shop goes safe cracking.

Say for example that they had everything to get in it.

How would you do so?

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
Say for example that they had everything to get in it.

How would you do so?
Take the Milwaukee metal cutting skil saw and cut the top off of it and pull everything out that way while having someone standing by with a fire extinguisher. Or saw a hole in the back.