GTX turbos

jdlover1

437 Cubic Inches
Oct 4, 2006
chapanoke,nc
I just replaced my gt4202r with a precision 75mm. Only reason was for $ to rebuild garret costed more than the precision was and it was just rebuilt. But with that being said the garret was ran hard for 2 years and I even bought it used from ed wayne when he parted out his built motor back in 2010 and he didnt baby it either. I like garret bb turbos but it cost a pretty penny to rebuild them

zebiraross

Nypex
Oct 15, 2011
Utah
I'm not trying to be a garrett nutswinger here, but if that's true you didn't take the GTX to it's full potential.

Airflow is airflow, and reguardless on if the GTX is "worth it" or is more/less reliable the fact remains that it flows more lbs/min and generally at higher pressure ratio's then the "off the shelf" bw475

Unless garrett lies on their charts...which i've never seen any evidence of.

Exactly.

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
You can't just go on number of failed turbos alone, you have to factor in how they were setup and how hard they were pushed (waste gated/ over fueled/ sprayed etc.)

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
I have ran both garret and borg warner turbos. I ran the gt4088r for two years with only duel fuelers and was very disapointed with the performance. The turbo sounded awesome! Thats about it. Since I have had a s475 on the truck. Keep in mind the s475 cost me 975 to my door! Since I have ran the piss out of the truck bending all rods, All last year on a built engine with 60 over injectors barking the shit out of the charger every pass this year becuase of a studpid defuel thats fixed now. The compressor wheel has been chipped for about two years now but still is tight as the day i installed it. For the money I wouldn't even think about pissing with a garrett unless I was trying to find the last hp in my setup through truck pulling. Even then Im not sure I would spend the money. Thats my 2 cents, Eric

CurtisEmery

Mar 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
The gtx turbos imo are lazy to drive and lack on top end performance compared to an equal size borg charger and are not even a comparison to a bullseye or danville.

Is this spoken from experience? I have ran a gtx and was very impressed with its performance. I am currently running a gt series with no complaints either. You can't compare a custom built turbo to something that is off the shelf. Comparing turbos with similar compressor wheels and totally different exhaust sides is not a comparison at all. Don't get me wrong I think borgwarner makes a great turbo as does garrett. Has anyone hear actually tested all of the above named turbos with the same sized compressor wheels, turbine wheels, similar a/rs same day back to back with no other changes made? I am willing to bet the answer is no. As far as the bb failures go, anything can fail given the right conditions. I have a friend who had a gtx5533r 94mm fail a bb center section. It was no fault of garretts. The turbo was being spun way past its rated shaft speed at 2:1 drive to boost and it failed. We have since speced a larger turbine section to hopefully keep shaft speed and dp in check.

zebiraross

Nypex
Oct 15, 2011
Utah
Is this spoken from experience? I have ran a gtx and was very impressed with its performance. I am currently running a gt series with no complaints either. You can't compare a custom built turbo to something that is off the shelf. Comparing turbos with similar compressor wheels and totally different exhaust sides is not a comparison at all. Don't get me wrong I think borgwarner makes a great turbo as does garrett. Has anyone hear actually tested all of the above named turbos with the same sized compressor wheels, turbine wheels, similar a/rs same day back to back with no other changes made? I am willing to bet the answer is no. As far as the bb failures go, anything can fail given the right conditions. I have a friend who had a gtx5533r 94mm fail a bb center section. It was no fault of garretts. The turbo was being spun way past its rated shaft speed at 2:1 drive to boost and it failed. We have since speced a larger turbine section to hopefully keep shaft speed and dp in check.

:thumb:

Mika

Bastardo Finlandias
Oct 25, 2008
Finland
Has anyone ran a set of BB twins? If this is a stupid question and will not work for some reason than excuse my ignorance.

I had BB GT40/GT47 setup at 2009, truck did 11,1 at that time IIRC.
GT40 break after few months/few thousand miles, compressor wheel begin to contact with housing. I buy new turbo, but got only few weeks before I bought bigger set of Holset´s and begin to make new setup.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana

I did this last fall and compared the GTX4508 against a cast S480, billet 480 and batmo480. All was on one truck on my dyno without changing tunes just the turbo. Customer went with borg turbo when all was said and done. If you throw the dyno results out the window and go with track results then the borg/bullseye batmo killed the GTX on the track because he was being beat by his competition by 10-15ft and when he got home he was putting 25-50+ft on them so to him it was more than worth it to switch. Every combination is different and you have to find what works best for your particular setup and someone that knows how to do that the best and most cost effective way to get the job done. Just my .02$ on it.

CurtisEmery

Mar 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
So you are telling me all of these chargers had 87mm turbines and close to the same a/r? And there were no other changes? I'm sorry but I have a hard time believing this. It would be a little more believable if this test were performed by an unbiased dyno facility that doesn't have a stake in what charger comes out on top. Regardless of my opinion both borg and garrett make great turbos. Budget and application will dictate what you choose.:thumb:

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
So you are telling me all of these chargers had 87mm turbines and close to the same a/r? And there were no other changes? I'm sorry but I have a hard time believing this. It would be a little more believable if this test were performed by an unbiased dyno facility that doesn't have a stake in what charger comes out on top. Regardless of my opinion both borg and garrett make great turbos. Budget and application will dictate what you choose.:thumb:

And you wonder why I don't care to contribute a ton of info because as you say I'm bias. Your damn right I'm bias! That's my freaking job! I'm a Garrett PowerMax autherized dealer, Bullseye Dealer, and also sell borgwarner factory box units and some Holsets every now and then. My customers expect the best performance for the best price and reliability. As I stated, price per hp I have yet to see it worth the extra coin for the BB Garrett units. Like stated before, every setup is different so you have to find the best combo that works for you.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
And you wonder why I don't care to contribute a ton of info because as you say I'm bias. Your damn right I'm bias! That's my freaking job! I'm a Garrett PowerMax autherized dealer, Bullseye Dealer, and also sell borgwarner factory box units and some Holsets every now and then. My customers expect the best performance for the best price and reliability. As I stated, price per hp I have yet to see it worth the extra coin for the BB Garrett units. Like stated before, every setup is different so you have to find the best combo that works for you.

Mark it is fine to be biased. That is how we form our preferences. I wouldn't let someone disagreeing with you keep you from sharing your information. Besides your test gave you specific data.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

zebiraross

Nypex
Oct 15, 2011
Utah

When you throw out the claims that you are putting out, without verification (dyno sheets, track slips etc), people are likely to question your claims. Don't take it personal. If you don't want people to question you, have some evidence. Especially when there is evidence that a gtx flows more lb/min then a bullseye if you simply look at their compressor maps.

CurtisEmery

Mar 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada

I asked you a very simple question, no need to get all defensive. Were turbine sections the same?

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
When you throw out the claims that you are putting out, without verification (dyno sheets, track slips etc), people are likely to question your claims. Don't take it personal. If you don't want people to question you, have some evidence. Especially when there is evidence that a gtx flows more lb/min then a bullseye if you simply look at their compressor maps.

Right, my bad:thumb:

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
When has Mark ever posted or made erroneous claims?

:roflmao:

Mark not providing "evidence":roflmao:
:spit:
Oh man, where's this guy been?

Marks word is as good as any "evidence" another could provide

Beledat:D

pizza pig

I Like to Party
Feb 13, 2012
CT

Okay but Garret and BW spec their turbines differently, its impossible to do apple to apple comparison.

maxpower91

May 29, 2010
Just to throw in my experience... I ran your most basic off the shelf gt4202 for over a year with probably 15000 miles of regular road and competition use and it was well used when i got it before the wheel began to chip. I have been running a batmo s480 single recently and have already rebuilt it once and it needs it once again!!! I bought this turbo new. The truck did run strong with it so nothing against it in that department.. just cant take the abuse of racing and pulling in the summer so it seems. It had maybe a couple thousand road miles between each rebuild. Dont get me wrong the truck ran extremely strong with it and it was put through a ton of abuse! Maybe I am just very unlucky..