Greasing Your Ball

Bluemax

???????????
Sep 25, 2006
Missouri
I also use this on the equalizer bars where they plug into the hitch. It doesn't defeat the purpose of the bars as I can assure you that there is a lot of tension in those when I hook up. It just reduces the chance of galling, etc. when you turn. The forces in the fore/aft directions are still very much there.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say he's probably thinking of an anti-sway bar and not an equalizer bar, I can see where grease would defeat the purpose there.:D

I always grease the balls.:D Except for my enclosed trailer that has a plug full of hot wires and no extras for a ground. But I'm going to fix that one of these days and I'll grease it too.:)

Bluemax

???????????
Sep 25, 2006
Missouri
This has been the only reason that I have been hesitant to do this and decided to post this question. However, my ball is wearing quite badly without grease, so maybe there is no difference except it won't squeek when I drive.

What is the weight rating on it? Maybe it's rated lower so it's softer?
I use 30,000 lb for anything in the bed. It'll rip or buckle the frame before the ball breaks.:)

RayMich

Jun 1, 2008
Mid Michigan
Greasing Your Balls

Several years ago I worked for a mobile home manufacturer and I set up their vehicle maintenance department for all company owned vehicles. At the time, they had 3 company owned mobile home haulers along with various cars, trucks, tractors, forklifts, etc.

One of the assigned truck drivers greased the ball on the hitch of his mobile home hauler with chassis grease, but the other two drivers did not; instead, they always wiped the ball clean before hooking up.

After six months of constant everyday use, the greased ball showed severe wear cause by dirt grit getting caught by the grease and acted like constant sandpaper rubbing on the ball. The other two trucks showed minimal ball wear.

Ever since then, I have refrained from greasing the ball on my trailer hitches. I just wipe it clean before I hook up a trailer. I have never had any problems from not greasing my balls. :)

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
What is the weight rating on it? Maybe it's rated lower so it's softer?
I use 30,000 lb for anything in the bed. It'll rip or buckle the frame before the ball breaks.:)

I'm really not to sure on the rating but it came with the 1200lb bars so I'm guessing pretty hefty. It's a Husky Shank,head and bars.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Several years ago I worked for a mobile home manufacturer and I set up their vehicle maintenance department for all company owned vehicles. At the time, they had 3 company owned mobile home haulers along with various cars, trucks, tractors, forklifts, etc.

One of the assigned truck drivers greased the ball on the hitch of his mobile home hauler with chassis grease, but the other two drivers did not; instead, they always wiped the ball clean before hooking up.

After six months of constant everyday use, the greased ball showed severe wear cause by dirt grit getting caught by the grease and acted like constant sandpaper rubbing on the ball. The other two trucks showed minimal ball wear.

Ever since then, I have refrained from greasing the ball on my trailer hitches. I just wipe it clean before I hook up a trailer. I have never had any problems from not greasing my balls. :)

Thanks. I'm sold on the non greased ball then. I was concerned with the dirt and sand getting caught in the grease thing myself so I guess it's just replace it every 3 years for me then.

1slow01Z71

Wannabe EFILive Tuner
I have never greased mine on my alumistinger and its gone through 3 trucks and probably 20K worth of towing and just some of the chrome is worn off.

MMLMM, you no longer need to grease the horseshoe on the fifth wheel they make nifty teflon anti-friction pads. Works great on my dads hitch that has 10K on it pulling 21K and its still in great shape.

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
I have never greased mine on my alumistinger and its gone through 3 trucks and probably 20K worth of towing and just some of the chrome is worn off.

MMLMM, you no longer need to grease the horseshoe on the fifth wheel they make nifty teflon anti-friction pads. Works great on my dads hitch that has 10K on it pulling 21K and its still in great shape.

oh yea, durrr.. now that you mentioned it, i remember see them all the time. Its been awhile since I hooked up to a 5th. It was mostly goosenecks for me. we even converted our old 5th to a gooseneck lol.

2wd_Sled_Puller

Heavy Equiment mechanic
Feb 19, 2008
Florida
I carry a can of wd40 in my tool box. Everytime i got to hook to a trailer i be sure to spary the hell out of the ball and the tounge of the trailer. Pull trailer where i got to and wipe excess off the ball. I do this on my hitch and gooseneck ball Never have had problems yet.

Osubeaver

Professional Grade
Aug 30, 2008
Oregon
Sorry about bumping this old topic back up. I'm new here and just reading through all the forums.

But.....

For those of you that grease your balls, you may want to know that the bottom of a Propel sports drink bottle fits a 2-5/16" ball perfectly (snaps on, snaps off) and works great to keep grease off you pants.

It still hurts like a @#$@#$ when you hit your shin on it though. :rolleyes:

Bentley

Doesn't know $hit...
Mar 7, 2008
Under a big a$$ rock...
We have 3 years of boat hauling on our work truck. 100,000+ miles on the balls (2" and 2 5/16") and our balls still look good. Never been greased or anything else...

SSDuramax

should be working...
Apr 28, 2008
soon to MO
Sorry about bumping this old topic back up. I'm new here and just reading through all the forums.

But.....

For those of you that grease your balls, you may want to know that the bottom of a Propel sports drink bottle fits a 2-5/16" ball perfectly (snaps on, snaps off) and works great to keep grease off you pants.

It still hurts like a @#$@#$ when you hit your shin on it though. :rolleyes:

another thing that fits nicely over the ball to keep you from getting grease on your pants is an old vienna sausage can :) that way, maybe your dog wont try to run off with your tennis ball...

and like beaver said, it don't help the shin from getting hurt when you run in to it.

Jared Duramax

<---- $$$ Whore!!
Feb 13, 2008
Matthews NC
I use a forged ball that has about 20,000 miles of towing at 15,000# and higher towing with no issues. and this is really all in town towing with lots of backing and turning.

It looks brand new and it has never seen any grease