Going compounds on lml few questions

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
it's an LML, so won't it just back the power down to match the trans automatically, :) :)

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
It’s going to get built. I got a killer deal on the compound kit I couldn’t pass up. If I go that used 475 I’ll be compounding for $1500 bucks. If I go billet 480 it’s going to cost me 2K total.

diesel-max

Haisley Never heard of her
Oct 20, 2011
IN
Going larger on the atmosphere charger tends to make drivability nicer. Drivability comes based on your valley turbo, and the ability to pull through the atmospheric turbo for bottom end response.
When doing twins I love using the 1.15 housing on the atmosphere, it tends to balance out boost pressures for best horsepower and drivability.

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
Awesome. I believe I seen mark say something similar about the larger atmosphere. I’m glad I went with the billet 480 then! I just got the standard 1.32, but may pickup a 1.15 as well to see the differences. I have the 100s now to help spool but can’t have all the tq on stock engine.

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
Got a 10mm cp3 lined up as well! Everything should start rolling in soon. Will have air and fuel for 800hp. Just gotta get a trans now!

diesel-max

Haisley Never heard of her
Oct 20, 2011
IN
That Mark guy tends to know some stuff 😃. As far as the window blocks and things go, the amount of tq made down low with compounds is where that is found. As far as pistons... well those just seem to break when and if they feel like it.

I think you will like the 1.15 housing, but getting the 1.32 will work just fine... and generally doesn't really save you much money wise so definitely worth finding what's best for your setup and driving style.

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
I’ll have blake keep tq out down low. The 100s and 10mm should help drive the 1.32 and keep pulling up top? If I was staying stock fuel forsure I’d be going 1.15. But needing to keep that power band up higher on stock motor a 1.32 would make sense? Or am I over thinking lol.

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
Could just utilize the stock valley charger as your stopping point for power. Your already going to be pushing it and it seems like you are worried about the engine failing. I say have fun with the set up and have fun once in a while and don't beat on the old girl. You'll have a sweet truck with plenty of street able power.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I’ll have blake keep tq out down low. The 100s and 10mm should help drive the 1.32 and keep pulling up top? If I was staying stock fuel forsure I’d be going 1.15. But needing to keep that power band up higher on stock motor a 1.32 would make sense? Or am I over thinking lol.

the rpm range for the 1.32 is over 4k, something your stock valve springs wont care for. the 1.15 will hold its own just fine under that rpm. ive ran it there. drive pressure isnt really the issue on your stock engine yet unless you want to get every bit of power you can out of a stock block. in which case, you need to run high rpm, loose the stock charger, put pushrods and valve springs in, and drive it like a gasser.

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
Could just utilize the stock valley charger as your stopping point for power. Your already going to be pushing it and it seems like you are worried about the engine failing. I say have fun with the set up and have fun once in a while and don't beat on the old girl. You'll have a sweet truck with plenty of street able power.

She’s made it 2 1/2 years on a 2050uS tune pushing stock charger to 12.9s. I don’t beat on it, I’m sure I’ll take it to the track a couple times but I couldn’t even tell you the last time I’ve opened her up wide open. I know the motors not going to live forever, and at that point I’ll probably throw some rods and pistons at it stud it and send it.

I’m thinking I’ll keep it around the 750 mark on stock bottom. Just didn’t want to be pushing the stock charger to the absolute limit if a larger valley charger will make the 750 much more efficiently and healthier.

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
I completely understand, idk about if that would be pushing the limits or not. I am sure someone will chime in.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
She’s made it 2 1/2 years on a 2050uS tune pushing stock charger to 12.9s. I don’t beat on it, I’m sure I’ll take it to the track a couple times but I couldn’t even tell you the last time I’ve opened her up wide open. I know the motors not going to live forever, and at that point I’ll probably throw some rods and pistons at it stud it and send it.

I’m thinking I’ll keep it around the 750 mark on stock bottom. Just didn’t want to be pushing the stock charger to the absolute limit if a larger valley charger will make the 750 much more efficiently and healthier.

eh, its kinda 50/50 if it would help. you are kinda in the borderline are IMHO and peoples opinions will vary here. putting in a charger like Shane suggested would make sure you clean up the fuel you have, let you keep a smaller pulse width (better for your pistons) while getting to that power goal. is it enough to help? not sure but it certainly wont hurt anything but some spool up time and the wallet.

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
Appreciate it guys. Think I might just go ahead and do it. I need to send 480 cover, tank and crossover pipe to powder coating anyways so may as well do a new vgt cover too. Just as well do all the air stuff now for later on down the road.

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
Thinking ddp 66 stage 3. It has the large gt40 76x68 turbine. I don’t believe any other drop ins offer that big of turbine.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Going larger on the atmosphere charger tends to make drivability nicer. Drivability comes based on your valley turbo, and the ability to pull through the atmospheric turbo for bottom end response.
When doing twins I love using the 1.15 housing on the atmosphere, it tends to balance out boost pressures for best horsepower and drivability.

I like 1.15 on an atmo which is exactly why my LB7 is getting a 364.5/68/0.91 and 480/96/1.15 as it's compounds.

Thinking ddp 66 stage 3. It has the large gt40 76x68 turbine. I don’t believe any other drop ins offer that big of turbine.

Titan Turbo Service does. I don't know how large Danville's turbine is but they may offer something when their new line comes out per their Facebook page/video Mark posted there.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana

That's a stock 4094va sized turbine so same size as our Stg2R comes with and we offer two sizes larger(71mm turbine in our 68/71stg3 and my 72mmvgt comes with a 72.5mm turbine, I am referring to the exducer of the turbine which is what matters when talking about over flow and power) than that for the serious guys making higher hp and more rpms than the average guy. Hope that sheds some light on it better for you.