GM head gaskets or Victor Reinz?

wilsondiesel

Nov 11, 2015
Sedalia, MO
Who prefers which brand and why? I've used a few sets of VR head gaskets but recently got a top end kit that has the GM copper colored ones in them. Is that copper color actually like the copper coat spray or just the color of material?

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Who prefers which brand and why? I've used a few sets of VR head gaskets but recently got a top end kit that has the GM copper colored ones in them. Is that copper color actually like the copper coat spray or just the color of material?

I personally will not resell the new lml gaskets in my kits. Along with a few other shops that will not resell them there Mexico made junk. Don't get me wrong on a stock truck they might be fine to a point. Gm has had them fail already and others that used them on builds. Not worth it to have a issue in the kits I sell.

Last edited:

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I use Lml gaskets in everything. Never an issue and we have some trucks that get beat on hard.. I've probably got 20-25 sets running around

wilsondiesel

Nov 11, 2015
Sedalia, MO
I personally will not resell the new lml gaskets in my kits. Along with a few other shops that will not resell them there Mexico made junk. Don't get me wrong on a stock truck they might be fine to a point. Gm has had them fail already and others that used them on builds. Not worth it to have a issue in the kits I sell.

Where's VR made at? If I run this set I have they're just going on a tuned lly that's getting studs too. I'll probably copper coat them and try them on this truck.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I'm not sure where the Victor Reinz are made, but I'm running them in my build. Didn't do any special prep, just slap the gasket down and torque the heads. I run about 50 PSI boost / 660 RWHP, and never have any issues.

I had to pull the heads a year ago due to a bad head casting, and the gaskets looked great, so went with new VR gaskets with the new heads, and again, no problems. Probably got 25k miles on this set, and I beat on the truck pretty hard.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I have ran all of them with zero failures. The lml gaskets require much more clean up then either of the others. For that reason I prefer either VR or GM old style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
We used the LML gaskets on the marine builds, then my engine builder who works at dealership started seeing some failures. Since we haven't fired them up yet, can't say either way. But at least we can change them easily if need be..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
The victors is the Gm old gasket they were the oem supplier for Gm. Most of the gaskets there made in the us few productions plants and warehouses thru out the US.

redws6rocket

Apr 22, 2007
Odessa, MO
This is very good information, I used the lml gaskets on my truck and didn't have any issues. But I have wondered about them, I use them because the dealership stocks them.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
77,000 mile bone stock 2013. Pressurizing coolant bottle and also leaking into cylinder 7. Never seen this type failure, is this what others have commonly seen ok n lml's?
eaf07b0b88a945dd72b2d40be2e71930.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
77,000 mile bone stock 2013. Pressurizing coolant bottle and also leaking into cylinder 7. Never seen this type failure, is this what others have commonly seen ok n lml's?
eaf07b0b88a945dd72b2d40be2e71930.jpg

Not sure what happened to buddies but we’re tearing into hear in the next week or so on his ‘13 and see what failed in it. Supposedly his are gold. Mahle gaskets are going back in.

Last edited:

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
I’ve seen 2011 LMLs with the old style gasket, and every 2013 and newer truck I’ve torn apart had gold ones. Never done head gaskets on a 2012 so I’m not sure if that would be the year they changed, or if 13’s got the new gaskets.

And yes, several of the LMLs I’ve done have had cracked and broken gaskets. They seem to fail very differently then the older trucks. Several of the LMLs I’ve done went from driving fine one day, to not starting one the next because they were hydro-locked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Well this one turned sour real quick this morning. I jerked the heads last night at quit time and saw the gasket cracked so I called it a night. Finagled all day yesterday so I could leave the turbo on.... only to find this right away today...
1ab50101850502ee5063e5a8d8d002a9.jpg

Last edited:

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
I’ve seen 2011 LMLs with the old style gasket, and every 2013 and newer truck I’ve torn apart had gold ones. Never done head gaskets on a 2012 so I’m not sure if that would be the year they changed, or if 13’s got the new gaskets.

And yes, several of the LMLs I’ve done have had cracked and broken gaskets. They seem to fail very differently then the older trucks. Several of the LMLs I’ve done went from driving fine one day, to not starting one the next because they were hydro-locked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Every 11 we've done has the wave stopper style gaskets.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I run nothing but Victor Reinz Wave Stopper gaskets in every truck that rolls through my shop or every truck I've helped supply parts for.

The VR gasket is extremely proven.

SheeB

Oct 7, 2013
Ottawa,Ontario,CANADA
Lurker here, but my '12 which has been doing the low coolant warning every 6 months and never could find the leak. Well it is now pressurizing the coolant reservoir so the inevitable has arrived I fear and time for a HG job. :(

I am still in the searching for a reputable shop (NOT dealership) somewhere within a couple hours of my location. I will request them to use the VR Wavestopper gaskets and standard ARP studs for the repair.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
There are a couple shops in the Syracuse area and NW corner of VT that I could recommend but those would be the closest to you that I know of doing strictly diesel repair.

Lurker here, but my '12 which has been doing the low coolant warning every 6 months and never could find the leak. Well it is now pressurizing the coolant reservoir so the inevitable has arrived I fear and time for a HG job. :(

I am still in the searching for a reputable shop (NOT dealership) somewhere within a couple hours of my location. I will request them to use the VR Wavestopper gaskets and standard ARP studs for the repair.