Getting Mickey Thompson to make Baja Claws again!

Cornell

LBZ for life
Sep 11, 2006
Minnesota
I'm heard a rumor awhile ago that Mickey Thompson was bring back Claws in more sizes. Well the rumor was false but I really don't care. I started an Instagram page to try and show them they need to bring back Claws in more sizes beside 46"

I need pictures of trucks with Baja Claws on them. Like @kelyzz out setup on Welds.

Anything is appreciated though as long as it has Baja Claws, MTZ's or ATZ's on it. I'll update thread with progress if there is any and I'll update it.

Follow it on Instagram and send emails to:

E-Mail: [email protected]

Or call them:

Domestic Sales

Phone (330) 928 - 9092

Think with enough support we can do this....

I'm not making any money off this nor will I be selling anything on the page. I just want some Baja Claws. :D

The instagram page is @MickeyThompsonOfficial

Thanks!

Be sure to post pics with Baja Claws, MTZs or ATZs and I'll post them on IG if I haven't already. And be sure to contact Mickey Thompson :thumb:

Feel free to move this, I thought it was most appropriate here.

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
claws

I like my claws. Look good and are quite compared to how aggressive they are. Didn't know they stopped making them. What a shame. What other tires if any did they stop making?

Attachments

• pics of 1986 002.jpg
    pics of 1986 002.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 76
  • resized2.jpg
    resized2.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 74
  • pics of 1986 004.jpg
    pics of 1986 004.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 60
Oct 16, 2008
Idaho
Good luck with this. Getting them to make tires they either used to make, or make them in other sizes, seemingly takes years. The land speed guys have begged for years to get more LSR sizes with little luck. We're talking about a market that tires are almost $1000/ea with little to no competition and they are reluctant to do anything. Getting claws back in smaller sizes would be a miracle.

Cornell

LBZ for life
Sep 11, 2006
Minnesota
I'm going to the concrete expo next week in Vegas, I'm hoping cooper tire has a booth since they own Mickey Thompson... I'm going to see if that will help.

If a couple hundred people make phone calls I think it could happen. Hell the page got 700 followers in about 12 hours last night since I made it.

I like my claws. Look good and are quite compared to how aggressive they are. Didn't know they stopped making them. What a shame. What other tires if any did they stop making?

They stopped making pretty much everything. People are getting blocked on Instagram for leaving one comment like "We want claws!" And I agree they are awesome tires :thumb: I am committing to this for a year. I think we can do it.

They stopped making the ATZ, you can only get the ATZ P3 :mad:

Yep, its total BS

Good luck with this. Getting them to make tires they either used to make, or make them in other sizes, seemingly takes years. The land speed guys have begged for years to get more LSR sizes with little luck. We're talking about a market that tires are almost $1000/ea with little to no competition and they are reluctant to do anything. Getting claws back in smaller sizes would be a miracle.

That seems like a much smaller market than the truck tire market. IMO no offense but I'm sure we could get quite a few pre orders filled. I've heard people voice their opinion with little resolve so maybe getting organized will help.

Also here's an IMGUR of Mickey Thompson tire equipped vehicles.

http://bringbackmtclaws.imgur.com/all/

I recognize a few trucks from here.

Oct 16, 2008
Idaho
I'm going to the concrete expo next week in Vegas, I'm hoping cooper tire has a booth since they own Mickey Thompson... I'm going to see if that will help.

If a couple hundred people make phone calls I think it could happen. Hell the page got 700 followers in about 12 hours last night since I made it.

They stopped making pretty much everything. People are getting blocked on Instagram for leaving one comment like "We want claws!" And I agree they are awesome tires :thumb: I am committing to this for a year. I think we can do it.

Yep, its total BS

That seems like a much smaller market than the truck tire market. IMO no offense but I'm sure we could get quite a few pre orders filled. I've heard people voice their opinion with little resolve so maybe getting organized will help.

Also here's an IMGUR of Mickey Thompson tire equipped vehicles.

http://bringbackmtclaws.imgur.com/all/

I recognize a few trucks from here.

Sure, smaller market with zero competition so it weighs up similar to a bigger saturated market. Like I said, good luck. I've just seen similar situations where the company turns a blind eye to seemingly decent demand with very little visible reasoning behind it.

Cornell

LBZ for life
Sep 11, 2006
Minnesota
Sure, smaller market with zero competition so it weighs up similar to a bigger saturated market. Like I said, good luck. I've just seen similar situations where the company turns a blind eye to seemingly decent demand with very little visible reasoning behind it.

Yeah I see what you mean.

Just doing what I can :eek:

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
We have 305-65-18 ATZs on my wife truck. I love em! And always loved the looks (nvr had a set so can't comment on performance) of the Claws.

I noticed your Instagram rallying-of-the-troops last night.

Does procomp still make the tire that's similar to the claws but a tad more all terrain? It's still a "vee" block pattern. Always liked those too.

Cornell

LBZ for life
Sep 11, 2006
Minnesota
We have 305-65-18 ATZs on my wife truck. I love em! And always loved the looks (nvr had a set so can't comment on performance) of the Claws.

I noticed your Instagram rallying-of-the-troops last night.

Does procomp still make the tire that's similar to the claws but a tad more all terrain? It's still a "vee" block pattern. Always liked those too.

They don't make them anymore.

I had truck pages with hundred of thousands of followers shout it out :D

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I lied, my wife's are 60 series, not 65 like I posted previously. Not that it really matters for this discussion since we won't be able to replace them with the same. :eek:

Luckily they seem to wear like iron and have a lot of years of life left based on the tread depth. She's had them for probably 3-4 years and they still look practically new. So yeah, she doesn't put many miles on the truck. :D

Cornell

LBZ for life
Sep 11, 2006
Minnesota
I lied, my wife's are 60 series, not 65 like I posted previously. Not that it really matters for this discussion since we won't be able to replace them with the same. :eek:

Luckily they seem to wear like iron and have a lot of years of life left based on the tread depth. She's had them for probably 3-4 years and they still look practically new. So yeah, she doesn't put many miles on the truck. :D

Either way we want them back! When they got discontinued people started running super swampers instead and they are so soft and loud.

Got another email back from Mickey Thompson. His tune was slightly different from last time.

jnieberlein

Secret Squirrel Diesel
Aug 17, 2009
West By God
posted up a couple of my 305/70 16s I guess they still make these, oh well posted em up anyways

Last edited:

Cornell

LBZ for life
Sep 11, 2006
Minnesota
Well its working... some guy DM'ed me today said the phone was busy and the guy that was answering the phone hung up on him :hug:

Think if 1200 people do it for a couple months they'll change their tune?

We got 1200 followers in 3 days to bring them back.

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
Got a email back today that says they make that tire in a TCC which replaces the tire I have. I have the TCC tires on my 86. I thought they stopped making the Baja claw all together?

Cornell

LBZ for life
Sep 11, 2006
Minnesota
I have some good news and some bad news. The bad news is Mickey Thompson destroyed the molds for the old Baja Claws so they are pretty much out of the picture. That coupled with the fact that New molds cost around 30k per mold. For them to bring a size to market and be feasible with a return on their side they'll need to see the tire as something that will sell and continue to sell. The other thing is they would have to get a new "green" tire to go wider than a 12.5". The green tire for the baja claw is unique to that tire as well. I really don't see that happening but if I can show the market for these tires is there then the possibility for the tire is there. From my talks with Mickey Thompson a 33 and 35/12.5-22 isn't a tire they believe will sell. They do have plans to bring larger rim diameter tires to market though. I don't believe Mickey Thompson has gauged the market and demand for a wider tire for the wider wheels people are putting on trucks these days. Since I started that Instagram page and the last month or so he has seen a 90% increase in the demand for the tire. We are being heard. I don't want to give up and I think the fact that we are taking these converstations from a few posts on forums and instagram shows that we can do something about this. I know the interest is there.

The more feedback I can get the better. I even told him about how their Mickey Thompson page blocked my accounts and he sounded concerned about that. He will be looking through this thread and others, I hope he joins and introduces himself but I had a good 25 minute long conversation with him on the phone today and another 15 minute long phone call with another individual.

Not giving up, I am the first one to say a 33/12.5/22 or a 35/12.5/22 would be going on my regular cab even as the Baja Claw TTC

Lb7_Katie

Lb7 Duramax
Sep 8, 2013
Holy crap Matt! Congrats on getting this so far! Would love to see you succeed in bringing them back! I'm sure you can do it and you most def have the support.
(I should have sold you my Instagram account for the claws!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cornell

LBZ for life
Sep 11, 2006
Minnesota
Holy crap Matt! Congrats on getting this so far! Would love to see you succeed in bringing them back! I'm sure you can do it and you most def have the support.
(I should have sold you my Instagram account for the claws!)

Yes, that would have been pretty helpful, I doubt many would have unfollowed since people seem to like my MickeyThompson page more than that actual one :rofl:

I could always have just photoshopped baja claws on your truck :roflmao:

I realize my post above doesn't sound too promising but just the fact that he was on the phone that long and asked tons of questions seemed promising to me.

Lb7_Katie

Lb7 Duramax
Sep 8, 2013
Well wish we would have thought about it before I deleted it! And I'm not allowed to make a new IG.

It seems promising that they broke down and started to talk with you about it rather than just block you and shut you out. I'll help with what I can.