LMM: Get truck ready for plow season?

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
Hey all. This will be my first winter plowing with my LMM, had a couple questions I was hoping to poll you on. Plow is a Fisher XV 8'6". It weighs 900lbs. I usually use a company vehicle but since this will be my own I want to make sure she's well prepared. This isn't my first rodeo so I don't need plow lessons ;) Truck has 70k miles.

1. Tune setting while plowing. Have DSP5 with a stock/light tow, heavy tow, DD/street and two higher race tunes. I was thinking stock tune. I am still on a stock transmission. with any luck and a few good storms I should have the coin for a build.

2. Truck is a CCSB, are frame gussets recommended? If so, where to look? Google doesn't turn up much but i'm sure i'm using the wrong wording.

3. I bought the truck leveled, and have acquired purple keys to lower back to stock. But this is a heavy plow, should I keep it leveled to allow for the extra weight? At minimum I would turn the stock keys up a bit but will not sacrifice CV angles for height so any adjustments will be minor.

I built the front end this spring using rare parts and other beefy stuff. New CV's, brakes/calipers and rear leafs are all being installed this month when I find some time. Fluids are well within intervals and I grease suspension/u-joints at appropriate intervals.

THanks all

bmc1025

Jan 25, 2013
Big Bone, KY
Sounds like you have it already prepared front end wise. I run my LBZ with a single 400RWHP tune with no issue but would recommend a stock tune if anyone else will be driving your truck. My truck grossed 15k daily in a previous life so the t-bars are weak and needed cranked for an 8.5' western straight blade.

bigmackmiller

Nov 30, 2008
Kokomo, IN
I put a set of timbrens on the front of my 01' and then add around 900lbs in the bed behind the tires helps with traction, balance and leverage

Mpsoldier

That just happened!
Mar 10, 2010
In my House
i have a steal road plate for the bed run leveled with my keys. 235/85/16 snows all stock gm parts with sleeves. i run a 9'2 bossV on 2 2500hds 2 straight blades on the other 2, setup the same lowest tune, My personal runs a s369 with 65sac's lowest setting, rest of my trucks are stock. I have 90 plus accounts, spare front diff in shop and transfercase rebuild kit, cv axle, and ujoints always nice to have sitting on shelf. then again reason why i run all the same year and make trucks. and just be smart with plowing as you probably already know.

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
Thanks for the tips. I was just deciding whether or not to grab some stainless lines for trans, brakes and hydroboost. Might as well add em to the list.

U joints were just replaced with the front end build but i do have a spare in my toolbox. My CV's aren't quite shot but are well abused so i'll keep one in the box for emergency's.

For those with timbrens, do you remove them after the season? Had always read they lowered ride quality quite a bit when unloaded. I cut some gussets last night and will weld them in when I do my leafs/brakes.

Thanks again all. Let keep our fingers crossed for some wicked storms so I can pay evan his $5k

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
all my trucks run timbrens. I never remove them. our plows range from 850lbs (9.5ft vplows)-1180lbs(blizzard 8611 power wing). most my trucks are 1tons with a few being ccsb. Been plowing for over 20yrs. Have never had an issue with a frame, roughly own 19 trucks currently and have sold atleast 10 more. must be lucky i guess.