Garrett GTX4508R

DPC

Jan 2, 2012
Adams, TN
I like the sounds of that! I still am curious which exh housing would work best on this turbo for DD/race purposes cause I use my truck for work and would like the ability to still pull trailers without crazy EGTs. Appreciate all the info guys!

If you are going to DD and tow I would use the 4508 in a twin setup with the stocker, no way would I use it as a singel unless is was strickly a play truck.

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
Ask any big tractor puller that has been doing it for a while and they will tell you that the ball bearing turbos are a lot easier to spool and allow you to run a little bigger turbo

Not necessarily true, yes ball bearings tend to have a better transient response time and better spool, but in the pulling world they don't hang in there any better or are not easier to stay on top of... Just clarifying that part.

I had a gtx 4508, they do not sound as good, and after the compressor touched the cover with only 3 hooks and Garrett said ball bearing chargers are not rebuildable, I sent it to Precision and had a 7 blade wheel and cover installed, and spool and power were both better afterwards...

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I like the sounds of that! I still am curious which exh housing would work best on this turbo for DD/race purposes cause I use my truck for work and would like the ability to still pull trailers without crazy EGTs. Appreciate all the info guys!

Yeah your expecting too much from this turbo now unless you dont mind running it around in high rpm's to keep on top of the turbo. if you dont, egts are gunna be nuts towing a trailer

sickdiesel

Apr 22, 2010
I will agree with everyone else, although the charger may spool "well" with the proper fueling and tuning, it will not be a good towing/DD charger IMO

What kinda of power level are you looking to be in? We may be able to help point you in a better direction. Unless you are dead set on the GTX45, then the only way to know if it is going to be what your looking for is it give it a shot :)

IF you decide to go the 45 route, you may look into the BD diverter valve. I drove a stock fuel LB7 with a S475/87 single truck and it spooled like stock! may be another option for you :thumb:

Jetty LBZ

work in progress
Jan 24, 2011
middle TN
I'll only be pulling small wagons/baler/rake things of that nature around the farms and figured it would be ok for that type use but i may be mistaken. My crew cab is what i use for the heavy jobs. Power wise id like to be in the 900s but i might be biting off more than i can chew saying that.

Mikey

Drag Racer
Jun 13, 2009
I plan to go with the race version GTX4502 75mm
It uses the same turbine as the GTX4508 but the compressor wheel of the GTX4202
It should spool a bit quicker than the 80mm 4508 and still make good power
Problem is they just cost too much, so I get to wait.
Maybe someone will try this out and let us know sooner:thumb:

Jetty LBZ

work in progress
Jan 24, 2011
middle TN
Mike yes ive got a long parts list in my head! :thumb:
Mikey that sounds like a good option and I'll be waiting awhile to get everything needed but im young so I'll live lol