Allison 5sp: Full Transgo?

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
Are you thinking before this up coming season? If so, I obviously am not using my truck now (my built motor truck that could benefit from these parts) and can easily afford to wait.

I'd imagine damn near any clutch, when setup with the proper clutch clearance/vb/pump mods, will hold 500-600hp and not think twice about it.

Yes at that power level most any clutch is good to go.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
So many variables can make even a perfect trans fail. Then the next one will last with even the same parts. It’s an allison. Everyone including yourself sticking with the Allison in fast trucks will have options we never thought possible for control and parts and you won’t even have to get them from me.

Truth

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Yes at that power level most any clutch is good to go.

Thank you. At that Point I'll progably go GPZ in C1/C2 and G3 in C3/C4 since the G3 seems to take the abuse a little better. With compounds over stock I'd imagine it's going to see some decent abuse grossing 24k.

I'll have to keep an eye out for these parts you're talking about. It makes me quite pleased to see that people are still progressing them as opposed to the "just deal with it" mentality.

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
Thank you. At that Point I'll progably go GPZ in C1/C2 and G3 in C3/C4 since the G3 seems to take the abuse a little better. With compounds over stock I'd imagine it's going to see some decent abuse grossing 24k.

I'll have to keep an eye out for these parts you're talking about. It makes me quite pleased to see that people are still progressing them as opposed to the "just deal with it" mentality.

I’m never content with whats available we are always working at improving what we can and always will. Starting in February I’ll be in a position to invest the time I’ve always wanted to into development and finishing some bigger projects I’ve been way too busy to even look at and starting some new ones. We’ve only just begun with the Allison in my opinion.

Last edited:

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I’m never content with whats available we are always working at improving what we can and always will. Starting in February I’ll be in a position to invest the time I’ve always wanted to into development and finishing some bigger projects I’ve been way too busy to even look at and starting some new ones. We’ve only just begun with the Allison in my opinion.

That's good to know Evan, I'll be in touch in the next few months to see how things are progressing before the season starts around April/May.

DylOrr

May 26, 2010
Kinderhook, IL
Wrong and what works works so...I’m going to say for now G3 will net longest run time and passes at this time in 1200+hp applications. Even when they fail they will get you through an event. Carbonites are ok also until they shed. The thing I see a lot is people who think they are in the know who don’t realize getting a hand full of passes even fast ones and running a number once or twice with poor shift quality isn’t doing anything special and any kit with billet parts out there will net you that. Two shims a regulator spring/drilling some holes in the c1 hub/no knock down some oiling covers and billet parts isn’t a COMP build it’s some stuff you put in a transmission without a real understanding. G3’s are fine at any power level in any clutch aside from in C1. All that said there will be a lot new options separate from what everyone’s used to coming in the future. You’ll always have different opinions “which” is normal but I work off facts learned immense from amounts of testing and time.

You said G3 for now, are the G4’s looking more promising than the G3 and worth waiting for?

Also if you don’t mind me asking, what’s the benefit of drilling the c1

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
You said G3 for now, are the G4’s looking more promising than the G3 and worth waiting for?

Also if you don’t mind me asking, what’s the benefit of drilling the c1

Opening up the holes in the c1 hub is one of a handful of the more common knowledge old school Allison “tricks” to allow hot fluid off the c1 clutches to exhaust faster. The G4 could be better then G3’s with the right pattern but i’m not holding my breath in anticipation for them. It will be great to have another option to try different combinations with though. Raybestos/Suncoast also has new clutches in testing that judging from Mark Broviak’s truck so far are working pretty good but he only has 5-6 passes so far. He’s Definitely putting it through its paces for being an Allison.

Last edited:

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Opening up the holes in the c1 hub is one of a handful of the more common knowledge old school Allison “tricks” to allow hot fluid off the c1 clutches to exhaust faster. The G4 could be better then G3’s with the right pattern but i’m not holding my breath in anticipation for them. It will be great to have another option to try different combinations with though. Raybestos/Suncoast also has new clutches in testing that judging from Mark Broviak’s truck so far are working pretty good but he only has 5-6 passes so far. He’s Definitely putting it through its paces for being an Allison.

The thing I’m hoping DOESN’T happen is they become a Suncoast exclusive making it a pain for the every day guy to get them.

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
The thing I’m hoping DOESN’T happen is they become a Suncoast exclusive making it a pain for the every day guy to get them.

They will be a Suncoast clutch but as you know other companies are coming out with new options and I/we with new entity will hopefully have our own in 2020.

onebaddmaxxx

Feb 22, 2009
Cecil County Md
Here are some G4 I just pulled out of a trans with approx 800 miles on it at 1200whp. Piston isn’t cut. Pic of all frictions is c3. Pic of single steel and friction is of c4 which didn’t fair well either. Only thing I see is the friction must not be as aggressive as a g3 as the steels in c4 aren’t heat checked like crazy like a g3 would do immediately. This friction literally reminds me of carbonite material in g3 pattern with waffle cuts.

Disclaimer* I did not build this trans but it had normal mods done with pressure and knockdown eliminates. I did the engine in the truck and he has done a bunch of dirt drags and other than that street driving.

All in all kinda depressing to see even the c4 hurt as well.

Attachments

• E4376704-5DBF-47BE-9071-310964FC5D03.jpg
    E4376704-5DBF-47BE-9071-310964FC5D03.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 120
  • 5EBD5FBC-B639-427C-BA31-B0A3DB49F241.jpg
    5EBD5FBC-B639-427C-BA31-B0A3DB49F241.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 115

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Wrong and what works works so...I’m going to say for now G3 will net longest run time and passes at this time in 1200+hp applications. Even when they fail they will get you through an event. Carbonites are ok also until they shed. The thing I see a lot is people who think they are in the know who don’t realize getting a hand full of passes even fast ones and running a number once or twice with poor shift quality isn’t doing anything special and any kit with billet parts out there will net you that. Two shims a regulator spring/drilling some holes in the c1 hub/no knock down some oiling covers and billet parts isn’t a COMP build it’s some stuff you put in a transmission without a real understanding. G3’s are fine at any power level in any clutch aside from in C1. All that said there will be a lot new options separate from what everyone’s used to coming in the future. You’ll always have different opinions “which” is normal but I work off facts learned immense from amounts of testing and time.

I skimmed across this note, what size holes would you recommend drilling in the C1?

Alto will be viewing this shortly.

Good to know Mike, I'll be curious to see what they say!

fastpunker

adrenaline junkie
Feb 7, 2012
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Here are some G4 I just pulled out of a trans with approx 800 miles on it at 1200whp. Piston isn’t cut. Pic of all frictions is c3. Pic of single steel and friction is of c4 which didn’t fair well either. Only thing I see is the friction must not be as aggressive as a g3 as the steels in c4 aren’t heat checked like crazy like a g3 would do immediately. This friction literally reminds me of carbonite material in g3 pattern with waffle cuts.

Disclaimer* I did not build this trans but it had normal mods done with pressure and knockdown eliminates. I did the engine in the truck and he has done a bunch of dirt drags and other than that street driving.

All in all kinda depressing to see even the c4 hurt as well.

Interesting... what were the symptoms of the trans with the G4's in it when it was pulled? Or was it pulled just for inspection?

Different materials will react differently to different patterns due to the heat dissipation properties of the cutch material. It will be interesting to see what Alto says regarding this.... Mike and I will be talking :book:

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
Interesting... what were the symptoms of the trans with the G4's in it when it was pulled? Or was it pulled just for inspection?

Different materials will react differently to different patterns due to the heat dissipation properties of the cutch material. It will be interesting to see what Alto says regarding this.... Mike and I will be talking :book:

You could glue printer paper to cardboard and it would last just fine in C4 there is more then a pattern issue there.

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
I was under the impression that no G4s have left Alto yet for external testing?

They are out there. I have them in my L5P and another truck. Just like the G3’s they circulate for a while first for just this reason. My truck blew up after 1000 miles and I left in Louisiana so I never got anywhere with testing them. I’ll be back there in a few weeks. I’ll bet they don’t look great the way i had them setup.

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
C4's fail more often in the 6 speed than 5 speed.

I can’t say I’ve ever lost a set of C4’s in a built unit regardless of the power, clutch used or application and a 6 speed would obviously be the only option putting enough load on C4 to attempt to hurt it. A 5 speed wasn’t even a thought I made the comment I made. They are non issue always in every application. Many guys at the track don’t delete 6 gear in their TCM tuning like they should because it’s nothing but a wasted shift and there is still no issues . Like a told Logan before he posted the C3 failure isn’t telling us much but the C4 failing shows a lot the way they failed.