Fuel tank install - Straps are going on way too tight...

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
Alright so there it goes

New brake lines went in *check
New brake hoses went in *check
New calipers *check
New fuel lines *check

Came to reinstall the fuel tank and I couldn't get those straps on for the life of me.... When I got one on my a couple threads I managed to tighten it down enough but I feel as if they went on way too tight stretching the heck out of the bolt hole of my new straps! I have never installed a fuel tank before so a little insight would be nice. I bought new straps but they matched the old ones perfectly. I couldn't put the old straps back on the tank without re-shaping them. I am very confused about it... It's installed now despite the fact that my new straps took a beating. It's got me worried now that I may of left something in the way which caused this. But the tank is sitting where it should as far as I can tell. Any advice is appreciated :)

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Mine where a PITA to get on, but seemed to tighten up like they came off. Can you get some pictures of the top of the tank? Maybe by the front crossmember, around the pickup and by the rear strap. Maybe someone will see something in the pics...

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
Well I took the tank off looked around to make sure nothing was getting in the way then I put it back on. It came back on the same way just as tight... I think my tank is bulged a bit from age. That's my only explanation... There is so much rust up there it's not even funny. Just replaced my fuel lines and brake lines because of nasty rust!