Fuel system suggestions.

CRAWLEN

Sep 29, 2017
Hi Guys, not sure if this is the right section or not.
currently planning out my fuel system for my build since its all custom and an engine swap im start from fresh and making my own.

what i want to know is what would be the recommened sizes of line for both feed and return from the tank, AD165 to a Distribution block from a Cummins then to my CP3.

What is installed is a 12mm cp3 and 100% injectors.
First part to this is, what size lines should i use from my tank to the Distribution block was thinking 1/2 inch feed, 3/8 return but have seen a few posts saying 3/4 feed 1/2inch return.

next is pretty simple i know im limited to 1/2inch to the cp3 and plan is using a -8AN Fitting, now the return is what im curious about have been told to go a bigger then stock return to suit the 12mm cp3 was thinking of going the same -8AN or would something like a -6AN Be fine ?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Hi Guys, not sure if this is the right section or not.
currently planning out my fuel system for my build since its all custom and an engine swap im start from fresh and making my own.

what i want to know is what would be the recommened sizes of line for both feed and return from the tank, AD165 to a Distribution block from a Cummins then to my CP3.

What is installed is a 12mm cp3 and 100% injectors.
First part to this is, what size lines should i use from my tank to the Distribution block was thinking 1/2 inch feed, 3/8 return but have seen a few posts saying 3/4 feed 1/2inch return.

next is pretty simple i know im limited to 1/2inch to the cp3 and plan is using a -8AN Fitting, now the return is what im curious about have been told to go a bigger then stock return to suit the 12mm cp3 was thinking of going the same -8AN or would something like a -6AN Be fine ?

I am running a 14mm and stock LBZ pump with 250% overs. I am running a Fuelab Prodigy 41403. I have a 5/8" suction from the tank to the pump and a 5/8" pressure line from the pump running underhood. I have a Fuelab bypass regulator mounted where the driver's battery would be that is 5/8" inlet, outlet, and return. I then have a "Y" splitting the 5/8" pressure line into 2x 1/2" lines that feed my CP3s.

On the return side my regulator has a 5/8" line. I then have all my other returns (passenger side injectors, drivers side injectors, valley pump, second pump, relief valve) all running to a manifold I got from McMaster Carr with -6 fittings/lines. That manifold also has my fuel temp sensor in it since I had to delete the factory return line to run my T6 in the valley without a body lift. That manifold has a 1/2" return line to tank.

CRAWLEN

Sep 29, 2017
I am running a 14mm and stock LBZ pump with 250% overs. I am running a Fuelab Prodigy 41403. I have a 5/8" suction from the tank to the pump and a 5/8" pressure line from the pump running underhood. I have a Fuelab bypass regulator mounted where the driver's battery would be that is 5/8" inlet, outlet, and return. I then have a "Y" splitting the 5/8" pressure line into 2x 1/2" lines that feed my CP3s.

On the return side my regulator has a 5/8" line. I then have all my other returns (passenger side injectors, drivers side injectors, valley pump, second pump, relief valve) all running to a manifold I got from McMaster Carr with -6 fittings/lines. That manifold also has my fuel temp sensor in it since I had to delete the factory return line to run my T6 in the valley without a body lift. That manifold has a 1/2" return line to tank.

Ahh sweet going of what you have I will be fine going smaller to keep things easy will most likely go, 1/2 with a 3/8 return and should be plenty maybe go a similar to you. Also been looking at going an airdog 200 or fuel lab as I feel like it will give me room to stretch and won't be running hard all the time.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Ahh sweet going of what you have I will be fine going smaller to keep things easy will most likely go, 1/2 with a 3/8 return and should be plenty maybe go a similar to you. Also been looking at going an airdog 200 or fuel lab as I feel like it will give me room to stretch and won't be running hard all the time.

In my opinion the Fuelab is the way to go. My setup is different than a Velocity 200 as I didn't want mine at a preset pressure, I wanted to regulate it as close to the CP3s as possible. A velocity 200 is an amazing pump.

I ended up with a Fleetguard filter base with 5/8-14 ORB connections instead of the 1/2" NPT that Schied had on the shelf as I wanted a cleaner assembly vs NPT. I am running a FS1000 filter/water separator, it is 10mic @ 98.7% efficiency but is quite tall.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
at the end of the day, fuel is limited to the smallest orifice. That will be the inlet port of the CP3 beyond the fitting and its not bigger than 1/2".

a 1/2" single feed hose to the CP3 and the 3/8" back is more than enough. We run 1/2" line to twin 14mm pumps on our cummins and 700% over injectors with a single 200 gph pump. we have never ran out of fuel to the pumps. return is all 3/8" as well. our pickup is twin 1/2" that y's into a single 5/8" line that then enters the lift pump.

CRAWLEN

Sep 29, 2017
at the end of the day, fuel is limited to the smallest orifice. That will be the inlet port of the CP3 beyond the fitting and its not bigger than 1/2".

a 1/2" single feed hose to the CP3 and the 3/8" back is more than enough. We run 1/2" line to twin 14mm pumps on our cummins and 700% over injectors with a single 200 gph pump. we have never ran out of fuel to the pumps. return is all 3/8" as well. our pickup is twin 1/2" that y's into a single 5/8" line that then enters the lift pump.

Ahh well that's mint to hear, will just do that to make it simple and clean 1/2 inch feed with a 3/8 return. And a half inch fuel pick pickup

CRAWLEN

Sep 29, 2017
instead of starting a new thread, its easier to post in here and hope people notice it.

currently debating what lift pump setup to run.
thinking either the fuelab velocity 200 or the aeromotive 230.
pretty much umming and arring and cant deiced what i like about the fuel lab is the air seperator and water/particulate filter. but there is next to no reviews on this unit

but from what i have gathered the aeromotive doesn't separate the air and it just uses the standard cat filter. does that filter separate water ?

any suggestions are welcome, or any other brands that arent airdog or fass

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Love the fuel lab. The high and low speed option is great. They are nice a quite. Many guys making over 1200hp with a single 200gph pump. Only downfall is it's not a flow through pump.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I'm running a single fuelab prodidgy 41403 and have made 1340/2200 with it and it didn't drop any fuel pressure. The Velocity 200 setup is amazing and has proven to be reliable/flow tons of fuel. The biggest thing I can say is do not skimp on line sizes. I am running a -10 (5/8) feed off of my RCD Sump that is 1/2NPT. According to Aeromotive, 1/2NPT can support a max size of 10AN and hasn't shown any issues as of yet.

If I were more of a programming guru I'd love to generate a boost based PWM box to ramp up the speed as boost increases instead of a hard hit with a switch. My hobbs switch, when I was testing it out, would drive my regulator crazy when it switched at idle. It would sit and cycle the regulator whereas I think it wouldn't do that with a gradual change.

CRAWLEN

Sep 29, 2017
Love the fuel lab. The high and low speed option is great. They are nice a quite. Many guys making over 1200hp with a single 200gph pump. Only downfall is it's not a flow through pump.

That could be a bit of an issue, worst case i put T's either side of the pump and have a pressure warning if pressure dies or pump fails get under a put a bypass hose in and lower the tune down and be gentle to keep it running

how have you got the 2 speeds set up ? manual switch or doing it automatically somehow ?

BD have you thought about running one of fuelabs electronic regulators so it does it all automatically ramping the flow up and down depending on demand ?

if i was to go the fuelab option should i set it up to have low and high speed or no need really ?

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
I just use the high side. But will be putting it on a switch. If it was a street truck I would use a boost reference. I've never seen a failed fuel lab. Way better quality then the cheap genaric 2 brands. I fought the same issues as bd did last year cause the 2 lbz fprs wont close enough. Went to a single 14mm pump and no issues. Keep it at 18psi. Last season I had to keep it at 7 psi with 2 10mm pumps.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
That could be a bit of an issue, worst case i put T's either side of the pump and have a pressure warning if pressure dies or pump fails get under a put a bypass hose in and lower the tune down and be gentle to keep it running

how have you got the 2 speeds set up ? manual switch or doing it automatically somehow ?

BD have you thought about running one of fuelabs electronic regulators so it does it all automatically ramping the flow up and down depending on demand ?

if i was to go the fuelab option should i set it up to have low and high speed or no need really ?

I talked with Fuelab about using their electronic regulator but they stated it is not compatible at the low pressures we require.

CRAWLEN

Sep 29, 2017
I just use the high side. But will be putting it on a switch. If it was a street truck I would use a boost reference. I've never seen a failed fuel lab. Way better quality then the cheap genaric 2 brands. I fought the same issues as bd did last year cause the 2 lbz fprs wont close enough. Went to a single 14mm pump and no issues. Keep it at 18psi. Last season I had to keep it at 7 psi with 2 10mm pumps.

Mine will be dailyed so might work the 2 speed out somehow, its feeding a 12mm so should be mint. can you adjust the pressure on the fuel lab velocity 200 ?
the velocity is looking more like the one i want run seems like it has bigger inlet and outlet then automotive,

if i go the velocity i will most likely add in a second filter after it just to be safe.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Mine will be dailyed so might work the 2 speed out somehow, its feeding a 12mm so should be mint. can you adjust the pressure on the fuel lab velocity 200 ?
the velocity is looking more like the one i want run seems like it has bigger inlet and outlet then automotive,

if i go the velocity i will most likely add in a second filter after it just to be safe.

Yes you can adjust pressure. Super easy.