LLY: Fuel pressure relief valve

timmey

Jan 4, 2015
I have an lly with a bad fuel pressure relief valve. I did the bottle test and after running for about 5 sec it filled a 20oz bottle with fuel so I am positive this is the problem. I am trying to get the valve off so I can put a race valve on but the original valve seems to be tightened to about 500ft-lbs and won't come off. also, there is very little exposed that the wrenches don't seem to be able to actually hold anything. does anyone know a trick to removing this? my truck is pretty much stuck until I can fix it. Thanks in advance

BLACKMAX1

WAY2EVL
Jul 10, 2013
VA beach
I stood outside the fender and pulled the wrench like a man. Some have used ratchet straps, and breaker bars. If you strip it you can use those bolt extractor sockets to get some bite of whats left.

Verlon at ATP

Mar 19, 2015
Take an box end wrench of the correct size, 18mm I believe, and grind it down so there is no bevel on the edge. This should give you plenty of bite. Use the ratchet strap method to break it loose.

weazel

Oct 5, 2011
Mason, TX
I used a short impact and a deep socket 18mm. Pull the glow plug module and bracket out of the way, and it's easier to get at with the impact. Hammered that booger right out of there!

timmey

Jan 4, 2015
Thanks guys. I tried the ratchet strap with a ground down wrench and it still didn't come off. So I removed the fuel rail and tried an impact and it rounded the wrench flats. after no luck with any easy outs or anything else my final solution was to use a grinder to grind two new flats on it and clamp some vice grips on it. It took about an hour of beating it with a hammer but I finally got the damn thing off.

Bonestock

Aug 9, 2010
Worland Wy
I use a matco flex head ratchet wrench and put a 16" long piece of pipe on it. Works everytime. You will need to pull gp relay mod out of way.