Fuel cell questions

Bbuchanan11

Sep 9, 2011
Sarver, PA
Hey guys not sure exactly where to put this thread but I plan on doing a fuel cell this winter. I’ve researched as much as I can I have the fuel pump feed and return figured out, I’ve read that I can get a cell with a certain level sensor to work with factory gauge after re scaling. My questions are I didn’t find much on return lines from the engine. Do I need a cooler? And how are you guys turning the return line in to AN fittings and hose? Also it’s for a drag truck the bed floor is cut out. Does there have to be a shield underneath the cell? Thanks for any help..... Brendon

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Are you going to use the factory return fitting on the driver's side of the engine? Someone makes an adapter to AN, think it's Earl's

Bbuchanan11

Sep 9, 2011
Sarver, PA
Ok I do still drive it to the track and home most times so I’ll put a fuel cooler on it. I did see that fitting from earls and I would like to go route But all I can find is 3/8 tube to -6 or -8 an.. I thought I read someone saying in an old thread that the lines are metric?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Ok I do still drive it to the track and home most times so I’ll put a fuel cooler on it. I did see that fitting from earls and I would like to go route But all I can find is 3/8 tube to -6 or -8 an.. I thought I read someone saying in an old thread that the lines are metric?

nope, 3/8" clicks on without issue. 1/2" for supply side

Bbuchanan11

Sep 9, 2011
Sarver, PA
I have one more question for you guys that have switched your airdogs over to an fittings. My air dog was manufactured in 17 (I think ) so it has npt threads where the fittings go, I have the suction and feed lines figured out no problem 3/8 npt to -10 the pump return fitting is only 1/8 npt. The factory hose it comes with looks like 1/2 inch . My question is would I be ok to run -6 line on the pump return to the tank? It doesn’t seem to me like it would be worth it to run -8 having to neck it down to 1/8 npt.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
I used 6an for my lift pump return when I put my sump in my stock tank. Haven't had any problems with it in the 10k miles I've put on it.

1TRIKHD

Country boy Limo.
Sep 15, 2015
P.N.W
Looks good, I would like to do something similar to what you have done. Ill have to look up Rhodes

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk

Bbuchanan11

Sep 9, 2011
Sarver, PA
Yeah it’s the 0-90 ohm... I still need to wire it and the fuel pump... the factory fuel gauge is 40-250ohm. Apparently you can rescale the factory gauge with efi live but I don’t tune my truck so I’m going to try putting a resistor in line.. still have some research to do on that.

1TRIKHD

Country boy Limo.
Sep 15, 2015
P.N.W
Yeah it’s the 0-90 ohm... I still need to wire it and the fuel pump... the factory fuel gauge is 40-250ohm. Apparently you can rescale the factory gauge with efi live but I don’t tune my truck so I’m going to try putting a resistor in line.. still have some research to do on that.
Right on thanks

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
You can rescale it, but you will also need to add a 40 Ω resistor or so inline. If the ECU sees close to 0 Ω, regardless of what you scale it at, it fails a diagnostic and reports the fuel as 0%. At least on the LS motors. But add a resistor, then rescale it as if you had a 40-130 Ω, should work great.

Sent from my FlashScan V2 using Tapatalk