front tire wear

dordtrecht5

Regular Cabs Rock
Jul 21, 2009
Wherever I am working
been looking around here and the other forums...

is there any reason that the "toe-in" would be if I have not done anything at all to the front suspension?

I got new tires about 16000 miles or so ago. Got the alignment done on it about 6,000 miles ago. The alignment spec at that time was pretty much dead nuts. Now it is whacked. My front tires are worn badly, like so much I will have to replace the tires. It is sitting on the bump stops as well.

I have sleeves on the tire rods. I don't have steering braces though. How could it have gone that far out of alignment? I haven't touched the t-bars once, too scared.

Firestone reimbursed me the cost of the alignment. I am trying to get them to reimburse 1/2 the cost of the tires. Took and left it at GM to check the front suspension and realign. Kinda ticks me off.

Any suggestions on this, or what to do?

Last edited:

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
My truck rides on the bump stops,what size tires are you running, Has the bars ever been turned down or up before? I would check everything up front to make sure its tight, Also maybe it screwed with them when the did the alignment and messed up when finishing with the sleeves.

dordtrecht5

Regular Cabs Rock
Jul 21, 2009
Wherever I am working
I am running 265/75/16. I have never touched the t-bars. I know where the bolt is to adjust them, but never had the guts to turn them down.

I wondered the same thing about the sleeves, but I "think" that the sleeves would have been tightened down b4 they did the print out on the final.

One thing that really baffles me is that when i first got the new tires they tracked perfectly...and it pulled to the right with the old OE tires. I knew I needed an alignment and got it as soon as time allowed me to (perhaps 4,000miles...ya, I drive alot). I have noticed,, the more a tire wears, the more the driver feels the effect of the condition.

Thanks for the input.

dordtrecht5

Regular Cabs Rock
Jul 21, 2009
Wherever I am working
Okay, got it back from the dealer. He was confused with the sleeves and didn't know how to work them at all. So, I explained the situation and how to do it. They are tight and aligned the way he did them, but the steering wheel is to the right a touch. They are going to fix everything in the morning.

I asked is there a reason that the toe in would be as bad as it is...he had no idea, even after inspection of front suspension. He thought that what could have happened is if Firestone didn't tighten the sleeves down they could have caused them to toe in, but that was only a guess. (So you may have nailed it RIPMF666)

The guy at Firestone is still saying that I have cranked the tbars up and that is what caused the toe in. I said malarkey. The truck has never been touched except for the sleeves and I put those on prior to the first alignment, and which caused me to get the alignment in the first place. I tightened the right one down wrong. I did tell the Firestone guy that I have driven 35,000 in the year that I have owned the truck, why would I want to make the ride more stiff than it is on the highway. Also noted that if I wanted to do anything with the t-bars I would drop them, but I haven't.

Anyway, I think Firestone is going to pro-rate the tires or replace them. I will find out tomorrow.