LB7: Front end noise?

John Noonan

Land Speed bike racer
Sep 24, 2008
Huntington Beach Cal.
On Michelle's 2003 LB7 she has been in to the dealer 5 times for a "steering shaft replacement however I believe a few of the times it was just "lubed" and not replaced. You can see from link what was done before.

http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?p=113171#post113171

The truck turned over to 80K today and when you turn the steering wheel either way you feel a "rattle"

What is it most likely?

I crawled underneath after I put the front end in the air and "looked" around however I did not see or feel anything that looked like it was loose or felt incorrect.

Any ideas?

Anything in the steering column that could be loose?

Truck has never been in an accident other than with a deer I got a few years ago on the way back from Bonneville several years ago :D

Is there an updated steering shaft that may need to be replaced?

Thanks in advance.

John & Michelle.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
The intermediate shaft is a known bug in the Silverados. IIRC, there is a newer P/N now.

Mike L. was doing something with an improved aftermarket unit a couple years ago, I saw it at his shop. I don't know what became of it though.

tomc983

tomc983
Jan 20, 2009
New Jersey
there is a plastic bearing that gos bad to the stock ones are white the new ones are a greenish coler just did mine for the same problem ill find the part number an get back to you

tomc983

tomc983
Jan 20, 2009
New Jersey
you can do it at home i had my girl friend sit from the pasenger side and hold the strait. then you dicounect the iss shaft pull the old bearing off slide new one on and put the shaft back on