Front end help

Alliance1289

Apr 26, 2011
Looking for some input here fellas...

I have lowered my truck a little bit (by way of backing the bolts out of the torsion bars in the front and drop shackles / overload spring removal in the rear) and have since been eating up ball joints like crazy. I know that lowering the front end like I have chosen to do puts some added stress on the front end parts so the fact that I'm going through ball joints is nothing that I didn't expect.

I have been looking at the Cognito UCA's, but have been told by several different people that they aren't exactly the best for lowered applications. I don't understand why they wouldn't work as a solution to my problem.

I have also looked at the DJM kits as well and I don't really want to run the drop spindles as it seems they cause a lot of headache in the wheel department as far as what offset / backspacing and wheel sizes you can run. DJM also offers a lower control arm kit... but I haven't looked into these much or talked to anyone that is / has run(ing) them.

My goal for the truck is to achieve nice flat CV angles in the front as I do throw the truck on the track when the chance presents itself, as well as pack on a LOT of highway / around town miles.

Im currently running 305/60R18s and want to get a set of 20's for the summer and then use my 18s for the long cold Wyoming winters. In addition to that Id like to still be able to clear something like a set of H2's or something of the 16" variety for the track when I get the rest of the parts for my built motor and such.
So what are you guys with lowered trucks running for a front end set up? Im on all ears and completely open to suggestions. More than anything I want to end up with a setup that holds up to some pretty heavy track abuse that I can still thrash around with on the streets.

-Eric

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
I have been looking at the Cognito UCA's, but have been told by several different people that they aren't exactly the best for lowered applications. I don't understand why they wouldn't work as a solution to my problem.

Cognito UCAs are meant for trucks with green keys cranked all the way up so in your case the upper ball joints would be worse off than with your stock UCAs.