Front Diff Lift mod

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Has anyone heard of modding a front diff by cutting off the top mount for a lift kit? I got a diff this weekend to replace the one in my truck, and I didn't notice it until we were trying to shove it up into the truck, but there is no top mount. On looking, someone cut and ground the mount off, and from the looks of it, it doesn't appear to be fresh, and it wasn't obvious. We were thinking maybe it was because it came out of a gasser truck, until we noticed that it appeared to have been cut/ground.

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
That's what the majority of the kits have you do kinda sucks. Someone offers a bolt on bracket to fix them I just can't remember who.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Thanks guys. Never heard of that until I saw a blurb in a car-part listing about cut off for lift kit. That is beyond stupid, IMO..... The yard is going to get me another diff that's intact.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Thanks guys. Never heard of that until I saw a blurb in a car-part listing about cut off for lift kit. That is beyond stupid, IMO..... The yard is going to get me another diff that's intact.

its extremely common and an easy fix with the bracket. obviously if you got it from a yard id get another.

be very sure its not 4.10 gears either and i have been told that the casting for a gas front diff is not as strong as a diesel. i have not verified this myself yet though

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
its extremely common and an easy fix with the bracket. obviously if you got it from a yard id get another.

be very sure its not 4.10 gears either and i have been told that the casting for a gas front diff is not as strong as a diesel. i have not verified this myself yet though

I can't imagine that being the case, assuming both are 9.25". I can see that as a logistical nightmare as all you'd need is one small messup at the factory and you have a run of diesel trucks with diffs that look the same but aren't as strong. Minus the missing mount, the one out of the gasser appears to be identical to the one out of my truck.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I can't imagine that being the case, assuming both are 9.25". I can see that as a logistical nightmare as all you'd need is one small messup at the factory and you have a run of diesel trucks with diffs that look the same but aren't as strong. Minus the missing mount, the one out of the gasser appears to be identical to the one out of my truck.

i wouldnt put it past AAM to do it. remember, our 11.5 is the same exact ring and pinion as the dodge yet the dodge axle has bigger tubes, different axle flange bolts, a limited slip we never got, and a few other differences. There are also alot more gasser 9.25 diffs over the diesel and they are not assembled on the same assembly line. the possibility is there, id just have to see the inside and outside of both cases to agree. it may not be more than just one more added casting brace or a thicker rib where the cases bolt together. little things