Front coil over conversion

lmmcbrown0917

Oct 13, 2013
North Carolina
Looking for some info from the guys who have done this or know about it. I want to run coil over shocks bolted in place of my stock shocks,

I would like to do this on my racetruck which is stock height with torsion bolts all the way out and I would like it to stay around the same height.

Also interested in doing my 08 which sits about 3” higher than stock in the front mainly for ride quality not racing.

Thanks in advance for any input.

lmmcbrown0917

Oct 13, 2013
North Carolina
I’ve been looking at qa1 for the shocks but I haven’t figured out the springs yet, not sure what size/weight I need.

Those mounts should work with the qa1 shocks i would think.

lmmcbrown0917

Oct 13, 2013
North Carolina
These are the shocks and spring I’m currently looking at for the racetruck. (Lowered)

http://https://www.summitracing.com/parts/qa1-ds404

http://https://www.summitracing.com/parts/qa1-10ht500

Blackmax123

Aug 2, 2014
central Pennsylvania
Spring weight is the tough part. I seen a mathematical calculation someone posted once to figure it out.

The coils I got are 12" 950lb. But they were on and going back on the front of a sled puller so probably stiffer than what you need.

lmmcbrown0917

Oct 13, 2013
North Carolina
Spring weight is the tough part. I seen a mathematical calculation someone posted once to figure it out.

The coils I got are 12" 950lb. But they were on and going back on the front of a sled puller so probably stiffer than what you need.

Do you know what brand your springs are? The heaviest I’ve found are 5-600lbs

moparkxracer

Jun 25, 2010
Out and about
We made brackets for mine. Couldn’t keep the bearings in the shocks and the right spring weight for the front end. I was replacing single springs every 6-9 months.

picture.php

jpowel29

Feb 1, 2008
Bentonville, Arkansas
Do you know what brand your springs are? The heaviest I’ve found are 5-600lbs

Hyperco and Eibach both make 2.5" coil springs in the 1000-1300 lb range and in the heights that will work with the ProComp upper bracket. Atomic Fab is great to work with. When I spoke with them their bracket kits were more for the 1500 trucks. The area where their upper brackets attach to the frame being the biggest difference. That has been some time back so they may have something better suited now.

lmmcbrown0917

Oct 13, 2013
North Carolina
Hyperco and Eibach both make 2.5" coil springs in the 1000-1300 lb range and in the heights that will work with the ProComp upper bracket. Atomic Fab is great to work with. When I spoke with them their bracket kits were more for the 1500 trucks. The area where their upper brackets attach to the frame being the biggest difference. That has been some time back so they may have something better suited now.

Thanks for the info, from what I have found so far I’m thinking I will need a 10” spring. I’ve already got the pro comp upper mounts and plan on using them, anyone used the stock style shock mounts on bottom?

This truck sees hardy any street miles so I’m not too worried about wearing springs out.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Im encouraged that since ~2008 when we were initially talking about coilovers, companies have stepped up to create parts to help accomplish the swap. Also that shock companies have improved their designs to give us options to use. Win/win...

WisconsinHick1

Mar 11, 2009
Minnesota
I ran dual adjustable viking shock bodies with 900lb springs up front on my old drag truck. Don't get me wrong QA1's are great but Vikings are the same thing at a better price tag. I have 11"-16" compressed/extended shocks and I was lowered about 2"-3" suspension.

lmmcbrown0917

Oct 13, 2013
North Carolina
I ran dual adjustable viking shock bodies with 900lb springs up front on my old drag truck. Don't get me wrong QA1's are great but Vikings are the same thing at a better price tag. I have 11"-16" compressed/extended shocks and I was lowered about 2"-3" suspension.

That’s pretty much exactly what I’m looking to run, how did you mount them?
Are they strong enough to hold the front end down for launching?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Im encouraged that since ~2008 when we were initially talking about coilovers, companies have stepped up to create parts to help accomplish the swap. Also that shock companies have improved their designs to give us options to use. Win/win...

Negative. There still isn’t anything that will work reliably for a street vehicle and bolt in a stock truck. A drag truck, yes.

A 1100-1300 off the shelf coil spring will not work without coil bind. Coils are flat out too thick due to coil size constraints on a qa1/Viking shock to work correctly.

I’ve been down this road and back in design for coilover setups as a bolt in deal on stock trucks. The spring is my only hold up and I’ve gone round and round to get something for my needs with no help. Even willing to pay tooling and buy quite a few springs.

If you ditch the stock frame mount, you open up a whole new world for options. I have a thread that explains finding spring rate and many other pieces of the puzzle here. It’s not hard to search and find it.

The stock lca mount will hold the truck just fine. The stock frame mount will as well but if you bottom out a time or two, it will start to distort and need reinforcement