Freighttrain engine teardown.

02freighttrain

Team Salad Bartender
Aug 13, 2006
sootville, Fl
Was bored today and I had no smashed fingers or cuts on my hands, so I had a look-see inside the broken beast.
One thing quite obvious is, the Duramax is one hell of an engine. All the componets and engineering is overkill. I will also say that it will test every ounce of your patients to get it apart.
The motor had 150,000+ miles on it when it let go. Upon inspection, the Rod and Main bearings Show no wear. Amazing. I did find that all the rods are bent. However, there is no evidence that any of the pistons made contact with the crank (except for the one that let go).
With such minimal wear, I could see theses engines running a million miles without a rebuild.
Here are some carnage photos.

Last edited:

02freighttrain

Team Salad Bartender
Aug 13, 2006
sootville, Fl
Was bored today and I had no smashed fingers or cuts on my hands, so I had a look-see inside the broken beast.
One thing quite obvious is, the Duramax is one hell of an engine. All the componets and engineering is overkill. I will also say that it will test every ounce of your patients to get it apart.
The motor had 150,000+ miles on it when it let go. Upon inspection, the Rod and Main bearings Show no wear. Amazing. I did find that all the rods are bent. However, there is no evidence that any of the pistons made contact with the crank (except for the one that let go).
With such minimal wear, I could see theses engines running a million miles without a rebuild.
Here are some carnage photos.
More

Last edited:

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
That was a rhetorical question, Right? Yes ans yes. Wife is getting a Shiney Crankshaft tonight.:eek: No dirty minds, please

OH So your making her a new lamp? :rofl:

03i.jpg

or a Table
table.jpg