Forums vs Social Media

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I legitimately thought I was the only person over 8 that didn't have a facebook.. glad I'm not alone..

Last edited:

roxyfever

Feb 11, 2016
terrell tx
I agree the Facebook pages are basically the same questions over an over again. Same for dodge an Ford pages. I'm about to take myself off of them so I don't have to see questions about leveling kits, what oil to run, what's this noise, how big of a tire can I run, the list goes on an on. Very rarely is there good info. I try to help but it gets old

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Just wait till you sell your Duramax and buy a gasser and join the LS truck pages....

Then you'll know you've hit the bottom of the barrel;)

Digmax

Jan 23, 2016
Just trips me out when I see people taking selfies.... not sure how to go lower than that

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Hey guys, if you don't like what your friends post on Facebook, there's this magical button on their page that says "unfollow" :roflmao:

It allows you to still be friends, but you don't have to deal with their chit

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
Hey guys, if you don't like what your friends post on Facebook, there's this magical button on their page that says "unfollow" :roflmao:

It allows you to still be friends, but you don't have to deal with their chit
I don't have fakebook so in real life I just don't call them to ask them how they are:rofl:

lutzjk913

May 5, 2010
groveport, ohio
I legitimately thought I was the only person over 8 that didn't have a facebook.. glad I'm not alone..

I'll 2nd this!

32yrs here. never once had facebook. i cant stand that crap. argue with my gf all the time. between selfies, snapchat and Facebook. all of it just makes no sense.

No bookface here.

Somehow I got started on IG but no selfies. :spit:

Whats facebook?

I'm glad other people see my side also.

The only thing I do on the internet social media wise is 2 forums. That's it.

I don't have fakebook so in real life I just don't call them to ask them how they are:rofl:

Same here. Lol

lutzjk913

May 5, 2010
groveport, ohio
What's great is when you miss a family get together because you don't have Facebook and no one called you to invite you.

That's happened to me more than once. Lol

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Don't get me wrong here, I much rather interact with people. But when someone complains about friends posts, there's a way to fix that.

I scroll through Facebook every few days, most my friends are gear heads and I like to see what they're working on.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Poor customer service

Only Facebook pages I have are fakes. For some online games that I've played.

The real shame is Facebook is excellent place to get information. The shitty part of it is waiting through all the bullshit. Weather updates, traffic updates, news, current events at the gun range, off-road events, and on and on. Sometimes it's almost impossible to get that information if you're not on Facebook because they don't advertise it any other way anymore. Oh well I guess I ain't waiting through the bs for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
It's like anything else. Many guys have a hammer in their tool box. They don't always use it, but if they need it they have it (and works well in certain instances). Others guys use their hammer way too much and do more damage. Social media is the same way. Used correctly a great tool, used incorrectly and it can cause more damage than it fixes.....

Some don't use social media because they have something to hide, others don't have anything to hide but don't use it because they don't like the big brother effect, and some others don't use it because they just don't have time (or the know-how).

I've set up Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc for my parents (both in their 70's) just so they can keep up with their Grandkids. They never post, they just follow and it's a tool to keep them in touch over 3000 miles away (California vs Massachusetts).

Good or bad social media (in one form or another) is here to stay, because of that I try to make it work to my advantage. Their is a TON of BS, but I've also learned a lot and met many good people (much the same way the forums helped in the late 90's early 00's).

Some of the first boards I belong to (mostly for square bodies) didn't even have the option to post pics....you actually had to describe and visualize problems.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
What's great is when you miss a family get together because you don't have Facebook and no one called you to invite you.

That's happened to me more than once. Lol

True story.

Happens every year to me.. or maybe I skip them? :confused:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I got to thinking about this while driving around today (yeah, I have a lot of time to). It does make sense for vendors to move from a static environment like an online forum to a more fluid medium like social media.

1) Cost (relatively free vs hefty yearly fee)
2) Control of the message
3) Their advertising dollars go much farther
4) Their customers are getting younger, and these younger people by-and-large use some form of social media. Find where your customers are, and adapt to them.

Obviously, there are other reasons, but those four make the most business sense to me.

PS, I do have a Facebook account. My kids do, so I have to. That was the deal. Found out that my classmates use it to coordinate our reunions (35th this year! I am old), and helps us keep up with my family and friends. I dont follow anyone, though. I swore all that off after my sister's "this is what I had for lunch" posts and the constant invites to play candy crush. :hehe:

Last edited: