Forged or Cast pistons

Ron2145

May 6, 2016
Whitefish, MT
My goal is a long term reliable build, it’s my understanding with current 475/stock roughly 800 hp is the max. I do tow with the truck so I figure to keep my current air, I have talked to Will Haase about rebuilding the turbos, although that number may change a little now that I know metal went through them. I’m figuring on going to 100% overs.

I talked to Evan at DHD and Wagler last year. He is far away but I haven’t found a machine shop close. There may be one in Spokane. I’m fairly handy, I did the head gaskets and studs myself a few years ago but I haven’t built an entire engine yet. I can’t decide whether I want to tackle it myself.

I’m not real knowledgeable about what parts I should use if I do it myself.

Thank you everyone for your input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
My goal is a long term reliable build, it’s my understanding with current 475/stock roughly 800 hp is the max. I do tow with the truck so I figure to keep my current air, I have talked to Will Haase about rebuilding the turbos, although that number may change a little now that I know metal went through them. I’m figuring on going to 100% overs.

I talked to Evan at DHD and Wagler last year. He is far away but I haven’t found a machine shop close. There may be one in Spokane. I’m fairly handy, I did the head gaskets and studs myself a few years ago but I haven’t built an entire engine yet. I can’t decide whether I want to tackle it myself.

I’m not real knowledgeable about what parts I should use if I do it myself.

Thank you everyone for your input!

You’re going to want at least 200% injectors

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
I had wondered about going bigger, I was told 100 was enough. My understanding is with bigger you have a shorter pulse so it should burn a little cooler

100’s are enough for 500hp. You want to keep pulse short so the fuel stays inside the bowl.

Reactions: Ron2145

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Is it feasible to build a reliable engine at that hp?

800?? absolutely. fingers pistons, choice of rods, narrow rod journal crank and its good to go. if you dont mind taking a little risk to save some cash, callies durastar crank or a new stock crank can be supplimented.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Let me put it this way, with some new parts that have come to market recently building a motor has become actually quite affordable compared to just a few years ago.
Depends which side of the border you are on though lol. It’s still ridiculous with exchange rate up here and duty and shipping.

Ron2145

May 6, 2016
Whitefish, MT
800?? absolutely. fingers pistons, choice of rods, narrow rod journal crank and its good to go. if you dont mind taking a little risk to save some cash, callies durastar crank or a new stock crank can be supplimented.

What’s your thoughts on the AF cams? Worth doing?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
What’s your thoughts on the AF cams? Worth doing?

I like AF cams on brand new cranks but as James said the biggest "sure fire" fix is a NRJ crank. I personally run stock cranks in my engines because I'm too cheap to buy a billet crank and have the time to fix it should I have a problem.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
There are a few. Callies, Winberg, and the SoCal private label are the most common. I don't recall who SoCal pays to have make theirs. The SoCal, from what I've read, is the narrowest.
Ok, I wasn't sure. I think So Cal's is the only one I have seen. But I believe they are custom made billets by one of the big name crank manufactures here.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i put a Callies NRJ in the old truck but the socal one is much narrower. At the time, it was 1500 bucks more for the socal crank over the callies. the callies was 3600 shipped to my door. im sure the prices are not that nice anymore...

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
i put a Callies NRJ in the old truck but the socal one is much narrower. At the time, it was 1500 bucks more for the socal crank over the callies. the callies was 3600 shipped to my door. im sure the prices are not that nice anymore...
I am sure....