Help: For the Drag Racers

TowU4Free

#SecretSquirrel
Aug 27, 2011
Guys, Im looking for a little wisdom here. Im running pyos with a 275/70 i think it is (Smaller than a 265 in height but wider than a 245) General grabber HTS pretty worn down. This is my track setup, Obviously i have traction bars and the front end down. Im Running the Danville stg2R. I need some advice on launching technique. Last year i ran the 3794 and i cant launch any harder than 8psi out of the gate without it spinning and bucking ridiculously. 1058 stall, My thinking is this.. What if i spool up to about 12 and instead of punching the go pedal when the light changes I roll onto the pedal? Ill take any and all advice, Im going sunday and I think the 68mm with dual pumps is going to be even more violent when I launch and want to get it as smooth as possible. Sorry for the long post

LbzDMax07

Dec 16, 2013
PA
I think your 60 ft would be crappy rolling into it. As fast as the stg2R is I would do what you done last year to start. What kind of 60 ft did you cut launching at 8 psi?

TowU4Free

#SecretSquirrel
Aug 27, 2011
started at 30psi got down to 25 by the end of the day trying to grab more. theyre passenger tires 44psi i think. I built my own bars they come to the bend in the frame right behind the cab. I take the drivers bolt all the way down and the passenger i tried keeping a crank or 2 on it. Launches straight but just spins and hops like an SOB

ScreaminDuramax

Sep 19, 2013
Torrance
I drive to the track, get straight in the staging lanes, race and cut 1.6x 60's. For me, as im at the light im spooling lightly creeping forward with hard braking to trigger the 2nd light. Then as the yellows drop I start raising RPM (and boost) then jab it on the third yellow and release the brake. Obviously this is all done in a matter of a second or 2, but it seems to work great. I think it just takes time to dial in your set up

TowU4Free

#SecretSquirrel
Aug 27, 2011
Troy, thats interesting I usually start building heat in her on the pre stage then when i get where i want in boost i creep up to stage then wait for the third yeller and go! I will Try your method! I tried playing with different EGT levels on launch to see if hotter was better or not but haven't come to a conclusion yet

ScreaminDuramax

Sep 19, 2013
Torrance
If I were you I would try not looking at your gauges and go by feel, I was having a lot of trouble getting good 60's but after talking to a few guys at the track they convinced me to just go by your gut feeling. So I did, and that was the first time I cut a 1.69 60' and it just got better from there.

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Troy, thats interesting I usually start building heat in her on the pre stage then when i get where i want in boost i creep up to stage then wait for the third yeller and go! I will Try your method! I tried playing with different EGT levels on launch to see if hotter was better or not but haven't come to a conclusion yet

There is not really a need to do that with a vvt. Light the first yellow, build boost until its at 5 psi, light the second yellow. As the tree drops increase throttle until you feel comfortable.

What shocks are you running?

TowU4Free

#SecretSquirrel
Aug 27, 2011
Interesting.. i can see where the 'feel' may be better i will try that as well! Dmaxchris i will try that aswell.......Factory shocks with 112k on them..

EDIT :I do have adjustable air bags in the rear

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Interesting.. i can see where the 'feel' may be better i will try that as well! Dmaxchris i will try that aswell.......Factory shocks with 112k on them..

EDIT :I do have adjustable air bags in the rear

Oh wow, no wonder it hops. Lol. Shocks should be replaced on these trucks every 30-40k IMO. Anything will be better than those worn out stockers. Getting some Rancho 9ks for the front would do you wonders.

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Just don't get these billstein 5100. I'm not that impressed with mine. As long as I load the hell out of it it rides nice but some adjustable shocks would be ideal for sure.

TowU4Free

#SecretSquirrel
Aug 27, 2011
I can use a coupon code from advance and get the ranchos pretty Good deal. What would one want to adjust them to for DD and racing? I hate the idea of having to adjust and tweak something else on the truck lol but you've got my attention

LbzDMax07

Dec 16, 2013
PA
I run mine 5 up front and 4 on rear for DD. I will hopefully find out if they help launch on Sat if the track is open. I'm going to set the front to 9 for racing and go from there