Fluid leak Inside cab

blackLTZ

May 6, 2016
South Texas!
I have a 2012 Duramax I noticed a fluid leak inside the back in back of the break pedal where the road goes Into the firewall is that power steering fluid or brake fluid? Also what's the faild part? I was doing some reading and came up with the hydrobooster? Does anybody have the part number for it? And percidure? Does the brake reservoir has to come out? Any rebuild kits?
Thanks I know I asked a lot of questions but I turn wrenches for a living on the heavy duty truck side and we use air brakes.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
More than likely power steering fluid, I would call the dealer for the part number on your truck and then shop, IIRC there were some changes in 2011-2012 trucks.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
On an OBS yes but usually the LML powersteering and brake system seems to normally hold up better. But the larger tires will put more stress on it. Just need to keep the fluid changed more often

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
Thanks for the help, truck barely has 80k miles

My LMM shit out its first pump at 24k miles. LLY ate hydroboosts for a while. If you're running bigger tires or in town or wherever turning a lot at low speeds ou need to flush the system every 10k or so or it'll never hold up. MAy want to check into running a larger cooler as well. I added a factory cooler to my LMM and it still wasn't enough, ended up piggybacking a stock GM trans cooler with it to help out and keep a clean look.

blackLTZ

May 6, 2016
South Texas!
I think mine has a factory power steering cooler, I'll order the part it's like 200 dls, you have replaced some is it hard to take off? Does the brake booster has to come off?

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
It does have one but it may not be enough depending on what you do with the truck. Could just be a fluke seal though, it happens.

No it just bolts to the booster, not bad to change. It's been 4-5 years since I've changed one but it's not bad at all.

blackLTZ

May 6, 2016
South Texas!
Then that explains why sometimes my steering gets hard on stand still turns ,
Me too have had some minor issues after 70k miles like my dash cracked again