Fixing my LBZ/ truck build

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
Yeah, you're making me wish I had taken a little more time and painted some stuff when I did my injectors.

Oh well, there's always when I tear into it for a rebuild :D

I'm curious why you didn't pull the motor instead of doing the work inside the truck?

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Yeah, you're making me wish I had taken a little more time and painted some stuff when I did my injectors.

Oh well, there's always when I tear into it for a rebuild :D

I'm curious why you didn't pull the motor instead of doing the work inside the truck?

Lol I sometimes wish I would quit screwing around and just finish the truck. With my OCD everything takes longer then it should. Like the fact if a bolt doesn’t take lock tight it’s getting anti-seize and torque to spec -20%. That’s just the kind of stupid crap I do when I do something.

My wife will kill me when the motor gets built. That will probably turn into a frame off restoration.

Plenty of people do them in the truck, so I didn’t figure it would be to bad. I’m pretty lean at 140lbs so working in the engine compartment ain’t a huge pain for me. Really I didn’t want to hassle with an engine stand, hoist, and fight getting the engine in and out by myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Id be willing to bet your wife will surprise you and say, "Do what you have to do" when the time comes....just like mine did. Women are strange creatures.....

Reactions: FROGMAN524

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Id be willing to bet your wife will surprise you and say, "Do what you have to do" when the time comes....just like mine did. Women are strange creatures.....
Your probably right Tom assuming it's at least a few years from now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I was getting the manifolds ready to go on when I noticed some of the mating surface flaking off on the passenger side. I’m worried it might not seal. Could this damage the head if it doesn’t seal fully? All 4 of the port are like this.

71509f0d13af7dbb612452c4afb4d754.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
Lol I sometimes wish I would quit screwing around and just finish the truck. With my OCD everything takes longer then it should. Like the fact if a bolt doesn’t take lock tight it’s getting anti-seize and torque to spec -20%. That’s just the kind of stupid crap I do when I do something.

My wife will kill me when the motor gets built. That will probably turn into a frame off restoration.

Plenty of people do them in the truck, so I didn’t figure it would be to bad. I’m pretty lean at 140lbs so working in the engine compartment ain’t a huge pain for me. Really I didn’t want to hassle with an engine stand, hoist, and fight getting the engine in and out by myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Anything to backup that -20% on torque for anti-siezed stuff, or is that just what you feel is comfortable?

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Have it surfaced. Easier to fix now. Will take a machine shop 15 minutes to do.

Thanks

Anything to backup that -20% on torque for anti-siezed stuff, or is that just what you feel is comfortable?

Google dry and lubricated torque values and you will have reading for days. Most Lubricant manufactures seem to spec 20-25% reduction. Some caution needs to be taken, because I have seen it thrown out there that the Torque value could need to be reduced as much as 40% at times.

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
And if you do decide to have them surfaced by machine shop I’d port match them and smooth up what you can inside. Not much material to take off to port match. I thought I read yellowchevy say he saw 50-100 degree drop in egt’s while driving with ones he did. I never had an egt sensor on mine prior to port matching so I can’t honestly back up what Russ said. But I don’t doubt him either.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
And if you do decide to have them surfaced by machine shop I’d port match them and smooth up what you can inside. Not much material to take off to port match. I thought I read yellowchevy say he saw 50-100 degree drop in egt’s while driving with ones he did. I never had an egt sensor on mine prior to port matching so I can’t honestly back up what Russ said. But I don’t doubt him either.

I thought about it, but there where test done on an engine dyno that showed no gains in manifolds until you did up pipes.

DmaxSquarebody

Glutton for punishment
Nov 19, 2019
NW Florida
Nice! I really like the way the valve colors look. I'm going to either do the same or glass bead - clear coat. Got a ways to go yet on mine though

Blackmax123

Aug 2, 2014
central Pennsylvania
Lol I sometimes wish I would quit screwing around and just finish the truck. With my OCD everything takes longer then it should.

OCD isnt a bad thing sometimes. the effort your putting in to that is amazing. It looks great.

I thought mine looked really good nut I didnt get near as detailed as you. makes me wish I had time to do it before it goes into my reg cab.

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
Awesome man!!! That looks so super clean. You definitely set the bar once I pull my motor for an overhaul. Good work. Color scheme looks great too. Btw, I like your choice of clamps for the hoses. Those crimp style I never have issues with

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Thanks guys

Looks awesome man i really like the color scheme. Put some tape over your oil fill would hate for you to drop something in there. New wire room looks great too man

Ya I normally have a rag in there.

When I was putting my valve covers on I dropped a dowel, but luckily it didn’t go down one of the oil passages. I was sick there for a split second.